Which generation?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by bbraden, Jan 11, 2009.

1. bbraden

bbraden Member

I'm looking at different tow rigs... my options are between a 94-98 12v and the 03-07 24v 5.9L cummins. I have a '99 VP44'd pickup and I really don't like how high the RPM's have to be to really hit the powerband. I know I'm going with a manual either way. Now here's my rub: I could buy an older 12v and spend 8K or so total on porting the head and on a gearvendors splitter so that I'd have basically a 9 speed and then turn the pump up a little to have a hell of a machine. OR I could spend an extra $10,000 and get a 3rd gen common rail. Which do ya'll think would be better for towing heavy in that scenario? We have a '98 12v but it's automatic. It pulls really well but we've had nothin but hell with the trans. So basically I have no idea what it's like to tow with a 12v manual. Any opinions?

2. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would say go for a common rail if you have the means... seems like a no-brainer to get a newer machine if you can afford it.

By the way, do you really have a lack of power with your '99? My VP44 truck pulls pretty dang hard at around 1700-1800 rpms...

3. bbraden

bbraden Member

Well... it's got power, don't get me wrong. It just seems like it has it in the wrong places. Especially with my NV4500. It's a pain in the a## when I'm pullin a heavy trailer and I have to work that engine a lot worse than I should just to get from 3rd to 4th and then I basically have to keep it on 70 if I take 5th. I like to pull trailers at 63-65 mph when I'm loaded pretty heavy, not only for wind drag, but also for the sake of overheating the tires. 63 mph in 4th is about 2300 rpm's and 63 mph in 5th is about 1700 rpm's. 4th is too low and 5th is too high. Also, when my engine is around 1700 rpm's it just doesn't have the umph that it has at 2000+. Don't get me wrong, this thing pulls like hell over 2000 rpm's, but it's not that great at anything under that, and that's where I want to be when I'm towing.

4. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    The CR is going to be a better all around machine. Yes, the 12V is a great truck, but you are looking at a much older vehicle and you have to consider the fact that the motor isn't the only wear item on it. There have been alot of technological updates in the last 10 years of trucks. The newer trucks turn tighter, have that extra gear, can still get great fuel economy when properly set up and used, and have twice the power stock.

5. bbraden

bbraden Member

Yeah I'd been thinking about that also. I was just wondering which would be better... an absolutely stock CR with the 6 speed; or a ported, returbo'd, fuel pumped up 12v with a NV4500 and gear splitters and DD clutch. Once it's all said and done, I'd have them for about the same overall price.

6. bbraden

bbraden Member

My super-x VP advances timing somewhat on it's own. I'm not sure how much, but you can hear the difference when it idles. It was supposed to help with power and fuel economy. Do ya'll think that with that AND the edge on, I have too much timing? I would think that that would lead to loss of low end torque...

7. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Your 285's probably are not helping matters much either with the 3:55's.

8. bbraden

bbraden Member

VERY true. 285's dont help for towing at all. I noticed a distinct difference towing when I went from 265's to 285's. I pulled a gooseneck the other day and I found out that the Edge Comp with the Super X VP is what's causing most the low end loss. It's too much timing. I turned the Edge off completely and it woke it up in the lower range.

9. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I agree with Diesel Nut. I have an '01 and an '04. Night and day difference. The '01 has a 6 speed manual and pulls very strong (193,000 mi.). But thats about all I like about it. The steering sucks, the brakes suck, the way you sit way back in the truck, I just don't like it. Now the '04, I love to drive it. It has the automatic tranny, which I don't like for pulling heavy, say over 12,000 lbs. or so, but for most of my driving its no problem. It has much better brakes, steering feels much tighter and will turn sharper, its much less noisy, visibilty is much better. The list goes on.

Bottom line......... I would buy the newer truck any day.waytogo

10. bbraden

bbraden Member

Thanks for the insight guys! I've decided that I'll just save and save for an '06 or so. I'm lookin at the G56 and I'll have a gearvendors installed on it immediately for a real highway gear. It's not gonna happen for a while but when I can finally afford it I'll have a nice rig. Thanks again for the tips.

11. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    good callwaytogo.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like you have more of a gearing issue than an engine issue.

A VP 24v pulls like hell at 1800rpm, and a 12v or CR isn't going to outpull a 24v at the same power level. They are just 3 variations of the same engine. The CR is supposed to peak torque a little sooner in rpm, but at 1700-1800, the VP and 12v have already hit their peaks anyway.

Get a newer truck. Mainly because you will get 3.73 gearing in a CR 3rd gen instead of the taller 3.55's in the 2nd gens. Just that slight difference in the rear ratio should bring you up just enough on your RPM's to make you happy, I'd think anyway.

3.55's are really good with autos, I think. If you are pulling heavy you can't use OD anyway, so the tall gears help keep the RPM's down a little better in direct drive.