6.0 reliability

Discussion in 'GM Gas Engine Rigs' started by jake, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jake

jake Well-Known Member

A freind of mine is looking at buying a '03 2500HD with a 6.0 with an auto tranny and 86,000 mi. Any input on this combination? Anything to watch for at this amount of mi.? The truck would mostly be used for a daily driver and some moderate towing accasionaly. How many mi. are you guys seeing out of these trucks?

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    He probably won't keep it long. Fuel mileage is terrible on that truck and driving it daily will bleed him to death. Best to save his money and get a Dmax or something with a smaller motor. I have a buddy that bought an 04 6.0 and he was happy to get 10mpg driving back and forth from work. Pretty spendy item to drive daily.

3. jake

jake Well-Known Member

According to Kelly Blue Book a 2003 extended cab 2500 HD with a 6.0 liter in good condition with 86,000 mi. is valued at $11,300. The same truck with a diesel is valued a $17,300. Thats a difference of $6,000.

If the truck is driven 15,000 mi. a year, (which is about what my freind would drive), the 6.0 will burn 1500 gal. averaging 10 mpg. At the current gas price of $2.00, thats $3,000 a year in gas.

If the duramx averages 15 mpg, it will burn about 1,000 gal a year. At the current fuel price of $2.50, thats $2,500.

So the savings in fuel is $500. a year at the current prices (who knows what they'll be in year).

So saving $500 dollars a year with the diesel, it would need to be driven 12 years to break even from the extra cost of the diesel engine. Who drives a truck 12 years.

Now..... I drive a '04 Cummins........... I've driven a Duramax at the place I used to work........... I know the performance a diesel can produce...........Awsome waytogo!!! Its a lot more fun to drive a diesel than the same truck with a gas engine.:pimp:

But........ from a dollars and cents point of view it doesn't make practical sense to spend the extra for just a daily driver and some light accasional towing.

By the way.......the original question was about reliability.:confused:

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I guess if he really doesn't want to save up longer for a duramax...:stir:

It's a chevy smallblock which I would argue is one of the most proven motors on the market... I'd say he'll be fine with it regarding reliability.

5. Mr. G

Mr. G New Member

I have an 04 2500HD w/ 6.0 and 42K and am pretty happy with it. I have no idea what kind of MPG it gets. As far as reliability the GM LS series motors have been around for a long time and don't seem to have hardly any problems save for a knock sensor or two. I was going to get a Ford V10 but was too worried about plug blow out so I ended up with the Chevy. By the by if he does end up getting the 03 he may feel it is a little slow ( GM's little miracle called Torque Management), it kills the performance. It can be easily be removed with certain hand held tuners like Diablosport Predator. Made a big difference in mine.

6. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well i thought i'd bring this to the top. I just bought a 06 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 with the 6.0L driving home from california i averaged just over 14MPG's. I also have a 03 2500HD for work and it has 210xxx miles on it and it's kicking strong. Reliability i wouldn't worry about it's the overall expense. some of us don't have the ability to buy a diesel and maintain it.

7. 2006blackmax

2006blackmax Active Member

Neighbor has a 6.0 in 2500 4X4, gets 10MPG on highway, he has 4.10 gears.

8. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    It's all in the right foot too. i have 4.10's with stock tires and can still pull almost 15 MPG's. Really it's all about the driver.

9. surprise

surprise Member

Mine is averaging 14 MPG, but I never do 5 over the posted speed limit, and I never ever go over 60 MPH unless I need to go farther than north Ogden. Which hasn't happened in a while. But around home, about 25% of my driving is at 40 MPH, 25% is at 55 MPH, 25% is at 50 MPH, and the rest is in-town.
    I'm using a hard tonneau that I made from 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, some 3/8" eye bolts, and some paint. The PO had already drilled enough holes in the bed.