steering problems...

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by 5.9 dieselpusher, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 5.9 dieselpusher

5.9 dieselpusher New Member

wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with the lukes link stabalizer. i installed one a few monthes ago and never seamed to make a difference. iv adjusted it a few times now and still wander down the highway

2. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

I have heard mixed reviews on it. Personally I wouldnt trust it. If my trac bar was shot and I was staying at stock suspension height I would get a 3rd gen trac bar conversion kit from solid steel.

but, If I was lifting it I would get a dt pro fab trac bar or a thurenfab trac bar.

but it almost sounds like you have a different issue.

have someone steer the truck back and forth quickly while you are under there looking. look at trac bar, tie rod ends. very bad wheel bearings could do this as well. ball joints ect.

now. knowing the 2nd gens real well. a steering gear box or a steering shaft could make it wander as well.

3. Dave@BD-Power

Dave@BD-Power Well-Known Member

Guys have you not heard about the BD Steering Stabilizer Bars??

They are the hottest product we have, check em out HERE then do some research on what the consumers are saying about them... under $250.00, 1 hour install and your steering problems, wondering issues are resolved!

Not a gimmick guys these really work!!

Like GRI said though, you need to correct any worn parts in the system first, the steering bars just correct the ridiculous wondering and wobble issues from the factory.

[​IMG]

4. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

where do I start with this
    on a good steering system they will help with the small amount of wander you can have with the CTD motor.
    If you have a worn out steering system this will not fix it
    this wont cure death wobble
    if you have bad parts you will still have bad parts after installing the brace. the only difference is that if you just fixed your steering issue before buying the brace you'll have more money in your pocket.

I am so sick of that thing being marketed as a steering fix. So people buy it thinking their death wobble and steering wonder will be illiminated.

Dave no offense but this guy has problems the brace isnt going to "fix".

5. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Agreed. Although I am sure the BD stabilizer thing helps, it will not fix the problem of having worn suspension components.

Take the truck to a shop and have them completely diagnose the front end and replace what needs to be fixed. I did this with my truck and ended up having to replace all four ball joints and the steering stabilizer (after almost 180k on the truck). Afterwards, the truck drove much better.

6. Dave@BD-Power

No offense taken, I did not market it as a "fix" to his worn parts.

However I disagree with you that it will not correct death wobble and wondering issues. I have testimonial after testimonial on how this corrected the wobble and wondering issues on near new trucks with perfect front ends. This CTD's can wonder and wobble right out of the box, some worse than others. The fact that we sell 300 kits a month, (yes average 10 a day) tells me there is definitely an issue with the (non worn) front ends as well.

I agree 100%

7. grouchrc

grouchrc Active Member

Bd

I installed one of these abput 2k miles ago. I wish I had known about them years ago. What a difference.

8. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

disagree with me all you want but just because it goes away when the kit is installed doesnt mean the problem is gone or doesnt exist. to get death wobble you dont have to have worn steering parts. poor steering setups, suspension lifts, caster ajustments and out of round tires can cause death wobble. all of which are not going to be "fixed" with a steering brace. sorry

and BD did market this as a dodge steering fix. According to the article in diesel power mag

wondering issues are more than likely from the crap steering boxes dodge puts on their trucks.

do I think they dont work? well. I had one on my 98 and didnt notice a difference at all. except for making my steering box puke its guts out from the frame flex it they transfer to the steering box. but I dont think the flex issue is a problem on the 3rd gens.

Just because you sell 300 a month doesnt make it great. You guys market these pretty well and lots of people fall for good advertising. Not saying your product is junk or doesnt help in certain situations but even Billy Mays (the oxy clean dooche bag) sells 300 items a month on anything he sells on TV. because he is in your face every second.

Now I did look over your product and it is well built and seems to be made of good quality.

9. Dave@BD-Power

Thanks for the post bump

To market them as a death wobble fix may be playing on the wondering issue a bit, I will give you that and in our defense a worn steering box can create a wobble, If its a "death" wobble meh... If that's all you can fault us for than we are doing okay!

With that said, I will lead right into the release of our NEW BD Adjustable Trac Bar Kits, they correct DEATH WOBBLE.

[​IMG]

They were just released so the picture is not the best but you can click the image for more information on them.

So non worn front end parts, a BD Steering Bar and Trac Bar set up and your good to go! Is everyone aware of the TSB's from Chrysler on some of the front end components? I can get you guys some links if you have are not.

These are some testimonials from last week, I got 180 more if you like,

P. Coleman Had it installed today. I can tell a difference even running empty. I am sure I will be able to tell a difference when hauling a load.

G. PARRISH The steering stabilizer bar worke great ! easy install and good feel as promised, thanks ! HOWEVER,,,,The cummins fuel shutdown solonoid was quite a bit smaller than the exsting OEM one, and required installing a new mount bracket, and a new lever arm, which necessitated removing the intake manifold, and loosening the brake booster. No big deal..

S. Page Stabilizer work's great can't wait to fix the alignment and throw some 37's on it and see how it does!

S. Ortiz The item works great, its a must have for any dodge owner

L. Robinson Wow, what a difference, no more constant steering corrections to keep the truck in the traffic lane.

W. Swain My order arrived more quickly than I expected and in good order. Ferguson's Diesel here in Springfield, MO installed it for me & did a good job also. It took them 1 1/2 hours a bit longer than expected but I don't have to worry about my power steering box leaking any longer. I just had it replaced while under warranty & have a 2004 Dodge 2500 with only 55000 miles on it.

J. Gan every thing worked great, but instructions could have been better.

R. Hannick Good product, got there quick, very satisfied

Hope This helps guys!

10. Dave@BD-Power

Glad you are enjoying the product grouchrc waytogo

11. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

just an FYI to all. half of the believers/purchasers have bad steering and the brace can hide the true issue. so yeah it will seem to cure it but there is still something wrong with your steering.

And if the box can has or causes a wobble then it shouldnt be used even after the brace is installed. thats a ridiculous amount of play

12. westbound73

westbound73 Active Member

its a dodge thing

dont even get me started on dodge steering and wander problems. I just replaced EVERYTHING on my front end, and its no better. I have even taken it to two shops and a dodge dealer to have it diagnosed, and nobody can figure it out. I talked to someone that knows of a guy in PA that specializes in dodge steering issues and I am going to make the trip to let him take a look. If he cant figure it out, I will take it to cessna and have it fitted with a rudder. It would probably be easier to steer that way. This truck is nice to look at, but terrible to drive. My lawn tractor steers better, no wonder dodge aint gonna make it!:confused::doah::mad::mad::mad:

13. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

make the trip up to NY and I will be able to diagnose it for you. for a few beers.waytogo