AC/Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by TXDODGE, Jun 5, 2009.

1. TXDODGE

TXDODGE Active Member

Has anyone ever dealt with or heard of the AC blower fan loosing power when the steering wheel is tilted up or down. My 03 has started to do this. Sometimes when I hit a large bump or just hop in and tilt the wheel down the fan will shut off. If I raise the wheel back up it will come back on and normally stay on if I lower it back down slowly. Once the temps outside get hotter llike now it is alot worse. If anyone has any ideas where I could start looking for the problem in the steering column your help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
    Have you resolved this problem yet?

3. TXDODGE

TXDODGE Active Member

Nope. I haven't had much time to try though while at home. It is getting worse as time goes on.

4. TXDODGE

TXDODGE Active Member

Fixed it I HOPE!

Finally got a chance to take a look under the steerind column yesterday. There is a large plug on the left side where everything gets power from the ignition. When the wheel is tilted downward the wires at the top are actually pulled away from the plug. I wiggled it around and figured out what position it needed to stay in and with the help of a few zip ties I think it should be fine now. Drove it around a while yesterday and never failed once which is a good sign because the day before it would shut off every 15-20 minutes without fail.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

5. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
    Sounds good, you may have got it waytogo