Using Oil since IC install

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by StrokerDon78, May 26, 2009.

1. StrokerDon78

StrokerDon78 Active Member

Media:
    OK I have a 96 F350 I installed an intercooler out of a 99, I change my oil every 3000, before the IC install I used maybe half a quart between oil changes. Now that I have installed the IC I am using about 1 and a half quarts between oil changes. Is this common? I have noticed oil residue all over the IC pipes I keep cleaning them and it comes back. Thanks.

2. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

I had a 90 with the IDI 7.3 and valve covers would leak and I had to keep tightening them up especially at the rear of the covers.

3. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

Yeah. We just did this on my buddies 1996 F350, and we re-plumbed the PCV system with a catch can like on the cummins. Now he gets no oil in the turbo or pipes.

4. StrokerDon78

StrokerDon78 Active Member

Media:
    I have thought about doing that same thing, But I was afraid that the turbo needed that oil, Does it. Or is it fine to re-plumb it?

5. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

It should be fine. The only oil the turbo should need is what is supplied to the turbo from the engine oiling system. I think it was US Diesel website that I saw a kit for the newer body style powerstrokes to get rid of that problem. But my buddy ended up just fabbing one up himself. If you want I can ask him what parts he used.