Is my truck a lemon or is it behaving typically

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Tom Seeley, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Member

I'd like some gut feel opinions on how my truck has behaved mechanically over the 4.5 years I've owned it.

I bought it used in March 05. It's a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax. It had 45,000 miles on it when I bought it. It has about 130,000 miles on it now.

Overall, I've been satisfied with how the engine and tranny have behaved, and as a tow vehicle it has performed well at all times.

But over the period I've owned it, when I consider all the other repairs I've needed, my perception is that I bought a pig in a poke! I'm trying to decide if that's the case, or if, instead, the rate of repairs and types of repairs I've needed are actually closer to other truck owners' experiences.

Not to add too much data, but here's a snapshot of the major stuff I've had to do on it:

new U joints 1 month after I bought it, at 45,000 miles; brake repairs, 84,000; all 8 new injectors, 94,500 (GMC paid for that, thank heaven!); idler pulley and serpentine belt, 99,500; leaking coolant reservoir, 106,000; replaced 7 of 8 broken wheel studs on right rear wheel, 108,500; all new rear brakes (again!), 117,000; replace idler arm and pitman arm, 117,800; new front brakes, rotors, etc, 119,500; new power steering gear box and 3 of 4 power steering hoses, 119,500; A/C condensor, A/C compressor clutch, receiver dryer, and expansion valve, 124,700; replaced steering gear, 126,000. And I'll know this Thursday if the slow drip I found last night out of the oil pan plug is just a bad plug or if the whole pan is rusting out and has to be replaced, as my mechanic thinks!

In addition to all this, I've been diligent about all scheduled maintenance, I've bought 2 entire sets of new tires, and because of an accident I replaced the entire transfer case, front axle actuator, rear U-joint, etc, at 81,000 miles.

Overall, I've put more than $10,000 into this truck in repairs alone, not including new tires, routine maintenance, etc. I am trying to decide if my experience is somewhat unique or more common to other experience. I may try to use this as one indicator of whether to junk it and start over because I think it'll keep breaking down because it's a lemon, or it may just be wearing out at about the rate other simlar trucks wear out.

What d'ya all think?

2. RON ARCHER

RON ARCHER Member

I thank that your gut feeling that you have had excessive repairs is probable right.
    I have a 1986, 6.9 F350 4x4 with about 200k it has had the following:
    new water pump
    new vac. pump
    2 new rear u-joints (one my fault)
    2 new fuel pumps ( the one on the block)
    new front rotors and 2 sets of pads and rear shoes
    new hyd clutch master cly.
    And I recently had to replace the injector pump and injectors, this is the only real costly item on the list. the others are mostly things you would expect as routine for a rig with that many mile on it.
    Hope this is helpful in making your own decision.

3. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

That sounds entirely too excessive to me. My 07 lbz had a fuel knock and thats it. Ive only got 50,000 on the clock though. Just remember to replace parts with quality parts.

4. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

WOW:eek:!!!! I'm sure glad that I don't own your truck. Mine has only had 1 u-joint and a set of brake pads in 95,000 miles but I do have another u-joint going out now, other than that just the normal maint. items i.e. fuel-oil filters, oil changes, two sets of tires, I don't count the extra items that I wanted such as the winch and things. My buddy has an 07 DMax and the only 2 things he has had go wrong are his stock airbox cracked on the top GM took care of that and he lost his front diff gears trying to pull a tractor onto a trailer that was broke down, so he called me and we got it up with the winch on mine. I feel for you.

5. champspa

champspa Member

It's our gut feeling that tells us if its a lemon or not and if you would buy another of that manufacturer . I think your are right about that feeling .

6. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i dont think your truck goes through pads fast i think it's probably your driving style. and for your mechanic to automatically think the pan is rusting out might explain the other repairs if this is the same guy who's fixed everything else. i get the feeling that he just assumes and takes your money and you just pay him. be careful and get more than one quote for repairs.

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc Well-Known Member

I think zippy hit the nail on the head. Maybe it's time to try a new shop and lighten up on the skinny peddle. :)

Care to explain this?

The injectors are a known problem so toss that out of the equation... from there though the following stuff you listed sounds like serious wear and tear/driving style...
    new u-joints
    brake repairs
    broken wheel studs
    rear brakes (again)
    front brakes/rotors (again)

This stuff is just part of owning a heavy ifs rig... I just dumped over $1200 into the front of my k3500 with similar parts...
    idler arm and pitman arm
    power steering gear box and hoses
    steering gear

You said you bought 2 entire sets of new tires... well you put 85,000 miles on the truck since you've owned it and judging by your brake repair list I think you should be happy with only going through two sets. :doah:

Taking everything above into account all I can say is next time get a Dodge...:D :stir:

8. purplehavoc

purplehavoc New Member

Alot of the problems are pretty common on those GM truck.
    Injectors on an LB7 is a given.

Upper balljoints,pitman and idler arms never seem to hold up.Balljoint boots also split all the time.Amplifiies if front end is turned up at all.

Rotors are normaly replaced cause they rust and flake apart.Just crappy material as far as i am concerned.
    As far as pad wear it is a common problem for the rear inner pads to wear premature,why GM went back to drums.

Seen a few steering boxes replaced for leaks,but not many changed for wear in that kind of mileage.
    In my years at the stealership those seemed to be the normal problems that always needed attention.Just something you had to deal with sooner or later if buying these trucks.
    Other then that they were good.So to say yours was a lemmon with the miles and being used as a truck.But that will have to be your call.

9. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

You can get a real good deal on 2009 trucks right now. Ford might have fixed the problems with the 6.4s by now but I'm a Cummins guy so I recommend Dodge.