6.5L opinions

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by 99ncxj, Oct 8, 2009.

1. 99ncxj

99ncxj Member

Since i'm selling my 4runner to buy a tow rig, i've been looking at tons of trucks for sale. I started out wanting to find an older ford gasser but I've decided that i like the '88 and up chevys better. They look much more updated than the older fords and are overall a "nicer" truck. I've also come to realize that in my 3000.00 and under price range that i could potentially pick up a 6.5L diesel in either a 2500 or 3500 truck. I guess my question(s) would be, are these good dependable trucks? Are there any known trouble areas in them? What kind of milage is acceptable when looking for a good dependable daily driver/tow rig?

Thanks for any and all input on the subject.

2. 99ncxj

99ncxj Member

going to look at a 96 3500 6.5L tomorow. any comments about these?

3. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

never had a 6.5 but ive been around them. these are not high power motors. they can be very reliable though.

4. 99ncxj

99ncxj Member

drove it today. No drag racer but had decent power with all the work thats been done to it. Now to just sell the toyota so i can go buy it.

5. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

If you are still interested:

The 6.5 is a very reliable engine. Power is not as bad as some people say. In it's day it was the powerhouse of the diesels. There are a couple of things that should be done ASAP, and will fail over time.
    The first is to relocate the PMD. I like SS Diesel Supply's FSD Heatsync for $350. This kit includes everything you need to do this. You will also want to replace the OPS (Oil Pressure Switch.) Again SS Diesel has a new version that is supposed to cure the failing of the old units. If you buy a 96 or older, you are going to want to upgrade the cooling system, again check out SS Diesel Supply.

6. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

Also you are going to want to put on a K&N Oil filter (and air filter.) The K&N oil filter has an anti-drain back valve, that keeps the oil from draining back into the pan when the engine is shut off. This makes starting easier, because it takes less cranks to get the OPS to allow fuel to pump.

7. 79Transtar

79Transtar New Member

Ever take a filter off from a stock oil filter , it will be full of oil, so no n eed for a "special filter"rotfl

8. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

79Transtar, read the post again. The K&N has an anti drain back valve. It keeps oil in the top end. Every filter that hangs from the engine will be full of oil, thank you gravity. The K&N keeps the oil from draining from the rest of the engine back in to the pan. Plus they have a better filtering system, with less pressure loss. Short story, spend the extra $3 and quit cryin'.

9. 79Transtar

79Transtar New Member

No cryin here, ya jumped the gun so quit fryin

10. globalet93

globalet93 New Member