best truck?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by tlrider187, Dec 7, 2009.

1. tlrider187

tlrider187 New Member

just wondering what everyones opinion is between an '08 powerstroke and
    '07 cummins with 6 speed trans. I personally like the ford styling but was told that the 5.9 cummins with the six speed trans was better and waaay better on fuel. I will be transporting cars so I want to get the best vehicle and definetly the best on fuel, but my eyes like the ford. I could use any info and would like to know what everyone is getting for mpg towing. Thanks.

2. tlrider187

tlrider187 New Member

anyone?

3. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Well I had an '06 Cummins that I sold last summer. Pulled a 33' 5th wheel with it, 14000 pound dump trailer and some equipment. Took across country once in the summer and once in winter. Mileage was awesome, truck never gave me any issues whatsoever. It was a 6spd as well, had the pacbrake on it. That truck would pull anything you hitched to it just not very fast as that tranny is geared low and I had 3.73 rearend. Now I have a 2010 Powerstroke and the only reason I really went with the ford was for the cab and the body style plus the 6.4L is much better than the 6.0 in a lot of ways, I havent pulled anything with it yet although my dad has pulled the same dump trailer as I mentioned with his '08 and everything about it you would like except the mileage. It sucks. There are ways around that keep in mind. All I can really say it is going to come down to personal preference as to which one you want, I personally like the gearing better in my ford too, my RPM's are way lower on the hwy. I would go drive both of them and see what you like more. Good luck!

4. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

The Cummins wins this one hands down. I talked to a freight broker in Cali about what truck to buy and he said he only gives freight to guys with Cummins engines. I said why is that he said because I need you on the road not in the shop.

You will need a 3-4 car trailer to make money hauling cars and the 6.4 will not last under the stress and strain of hauling 14,000-17,000lbs plus the truck weight every day.

There are reasons big rigs use inline diesels instead of V8s. Better fuel mileage, stronger internal parts and fewer internal parts, plus the inline makes more torque and puts that torque to the ground at just off idle which the V8 can't do.

You can buy the Ford if you want to but you'll wind up putting another motor in it way sooner than you think and it should be a Cummins. There are websites devoted to swapping Cummins motors in trucks other than Dodge but you never see one that swaps a Powerstroke into a Dodge.

www.fordcummins.com

5. Fordcummins

Fordcummins Member

Fodges rock! I love mine.