Exactly how bad are the 6.0 powerstrokes?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Jimbug, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Jimbug

Jimbug Member

I am looking for a used four door long bed diesel 4x. There ate a ton of Ford 6.0s for sale but I have heard many bad things. Like stay away and I wouldn't give one to my worst enemy.
    Just how bad are they is there a better year Of the 6.0 to buy?
    I really need a truck and the fords are less money than the GMs and dodges
    I am just trying to weigh my options.
    Does anyone have any hard numbers on exactly how many had problems

thanks for any advice

2. Jimbug

Jimbug Member

Seriously no one has anything to say!

Come on...... No body. Good bad whatever?
    Let's hear it

3. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

The 6.0 can be a good motor but, they don't like having much done to them. Keep it stock and it will be okay. If you are looking for a vehicle you can start making a hot rod out of stay away. Some of the problems the 6 liters will give you include injectors, turbo, and the EGR. You can remove the EGR and you can upgrade the injectors but then you will have problems with head gaskets. The motor is just not as robust as either the D-Max or the Cummins. Just a thought, call some dealers and ask what they are giving for trade ins on the model you are looking for. I know from experience that the 6 liter Fords will give you less money for a trade in. The reason is because they have been given a bad rap that has been earned to some degree. Dealers are always willing to rape you on any trade in but, if you were to offer either a D-Max or a Cummins they are usually willing to give you more money.

LT.

4. purplehavoc

purplehavoc New Member

I thought for a long time on the 6.0L before i purchased my D-max.
    Could get a F-250 or 350 way cheaper then anything else,but after seeing the problems a couple of friends had and the labour to repair kinda sent me running.
    Most places pull the cab and front clip when doing headgaskets or turbo work.
    Lots of EGR problems,Wheel bearings like to go often.

05 and 06 models are said to have had most the bugs worked out,but lots of guys still having problems.
    My buddy has an 2003 6.0L and it would be quicker for me to tell you what hasn't been replaced or done to it.

Always been a Ford guy,but i will stay with my Duramax.

5. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Ok not looking to start a brand war here, but. I would not even want my exwife whom I really don't like at all to have to drive one with that being said my buddy has an 07 DMax and he has had really good luck with it but complains that he can't keep up with my Cummins when pulling large loads but he has a much nicer ride and a little larger cab (backseat) I know alot of people will tell you that the Dodge backseat (minus the mega cab) is alot smaller but my 6foot son has no problems sitting in the back seat comfortable and when we used a tape measure on my buddys DMax and mine it was really only about 2" from the front of the back seat to the back of the front seat difference. So to make a long story short my vote is for a Dodge Cummins but I'm partial.

6. BEROWDY

BEROWDY Active Member

The 6.0 can be a decent motor if you have about 7k to throw at it to make it reliable. You need to upgrade the head studs to h-11's or arp's get an egr delete kit and after market injectors. Then its ready for you to be able to run a tuner without blowing head gaskets and puking coolant. I know a guy that spent all the money to do this on his 03 and it still pukes when hes in his race file at the track. They are junk there's a reason why Ford would spend so much $ designing and testing a motor and ditch it after a couple years. I would go with an 01-03 7.3L they will probably be a little more then the 6.0's cause people are trying to dump the 6.0's. But your still getting a solid truck that unlike the D-max the tie rods wont snap while off road and the rear end and trani wont blow up like the cummings haha.

7. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    They have a bad rap but can be good motors. Headstuds, an SCT tuner with custom tunes, and some gauges and you are rolling. The 5R110 transmissions are very durable and dependable with the custom tunes.

8. BEROWDY

BEROWDY Active Member

You forgot the egr problems, its almost a bigger problem then the head studs, then depending what year they have issue with injectors and pcm, fcim needed to be re-flashed all the time.

9. reelbum

reelbum New Member

i have 6.0 dually. new to this site and found by looking for hot shot info. Have 58,000 miles, this is third complete turbo replacement, under warranty. Other than that, no problems. outpulls my old 7.2 handsdown. Had to get class a cdl to pull my horse trailer , have been pulling under farm tag exempted from weight restrictions, but could only run 150 miles. now legal, but understand have to get weight rating directly from ford to purchase combo reg. for close to five hundred. what a rip

10. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

How long did it last before it was replaced by the 6.4, two years? Please. If you MUST have a Powerjoke at least get the 6.4. Just make sure it has a big warranty because it costs big bucks to have the cab lifted when it needs service. :rolleyes:

11. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

And how long did the 6.4 last? Model years 2008-2010. Not any better. But, I do agree with the extended warranty. The motors are not the best again.

LT.

12. Canrvhauler

Canrvhauler New Member

Being a fan of International (own some big trucks) I bought a 6.0 that was in a 2007 F-350 crew cab 4x4. It was good until days before the warranty ran out. I managed to get the injectors and egr valve replaced under warranty.
    Then it all started from there. So I did all the research and did like everyone said...studs, head gaskets, egr delete, updated STC fitting, etc. Within the next two months had HPOP problems, then blew the head gaskets again. This was only being used at the time to drive around town....not rodded or abused. So I gave up and got rid of it.