My new tow rig / DD / toy

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by big94GMC, Aug 5, 2009.

1. big94GMC

big94GMC Well-Known Member

After MUCH deliberation, I have decided on, shopped for, and purchased a new-to-me tow rig.....and I couldn't be happier. :cool:

Let me first start with an explanation of my 'vehicle choice' selection.... It's no secret that I am die-hard, long time GM fan and lover. So, since I was in the market for a one ton diesel dually tow rig, naturally I look at the GMC options first, focusing on the '04 and newer years. I would have been very happy with a 6.6 Duramax, the interior, and the body style of that truck, but there's one issue....trying to locate a quality used 6.6 with a 6 speed manual is (almost) impossible (I'm not saying they're not out there, but I'm saying there are SO VERY VERY FEW and far between)....especially when I have a lengthy list of requirements that the truck needed to have.

In short, I had to bite the bullet and realize that a GM most likely wouldn't meet my needs.... Now, I've got a couple friends who have late model Dodge Cummins trucks, and I've been impressed with the powertrain, with the interior, and with the body styling of certain Dodge trucks.... And, when my research turned up that there were quite a few Cummins with 6 speed manuals in trucks that DID have everything I was looking for in a used truck, well, it seems a Dodge was in my future. Don't get me wrong, it took me just as long to become comfortable with the idea of buying a non-GM as it did for me to shop for one (about 4 months each....).

So, cutting to the chase, I found a truck I liked. I found it online....it was down in Texas, about talked to the guy for something like 4 weeks, talked for hours, had about 75-80 some pics of everything.... I was happy. Flew down, picked it up, and drove it the 1,700 miles back up here in a weekend.

And with that, here she is....this is just a short listing of what she has:

--2004 Dodge 3500 Sport
    --5.9 Cummins HO
    --NV5600 6 speed manual
    --NV273
    --AAM 9.5 front, AAM 11.5 rear w/ posi, 3.73's
    --aFe Bladerunner intake elbow
    --Bully Dog PMT programmer
    --3" Pro Comp suspension lift
    --10 lug adapters, 22.5 Alcoa's on 255/70x22.5 semi tires
    --20% tint all around, over factory smoked glass in the back
    --Gooseneck in the bed
    --Thick spray in bedliner
    --Lots of Recon lights (gonna add more)
    .....And some other goodies

Here's just a few pics....I'll take a bunch more next time I wash, polish, and wax it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 13MW

13MW Member

VERY nice! Just curious, what kind of things were on your list of 'must have' options?

3. big94GMC

big94GMC Well-Known Member

Just SOME of the list was:

'03/'04 (305hp)
    manual
    new, or newer clutch
    quad cab
    dually
    pref. 4wd over 2wd (but was looking at both)
    NOT white, and NOT red
    black interior, not the slate/graphite that is so common
    stock engine, no internal mods
    pref. 3.73 over 4.10

The list goes on and on.... I mean, I was PICKY! And, when shopping for a used truck, picky doesn't translate into a quick purchase.

Also, I wanted to find a truck that was close to what I envisioned how I would want to have modified it....in short, let someone else put their money into the truck, and I just get it for 'book value. So, finding the all black Sport package made this one stand out, along with the 3" lift, 10 lug adapters and 22.5's, full 5" turbo back exhaust, PMT to play with, and straight one-off interior (PO wrapped seats in leather two years ago, replaced the headliner with all black, and color-match-painted all the pillar covers to match the black of the dash....no other interior like it, anywhere) all are things that I'm happy to lay claim to.

There are issues I'm still working on ironing out, but all in all, I'm happy so far. I'm looking forward to the first heavy pull I get to do with it.

4. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Nice looking truck!

5. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

Nice looking truck bro! :)
    Scott

6. mfurrh55

mfurrh55 Active Member

Media:
    Nice looking rig, But how is the ride with the big tires on it?

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I LOVE the interior in those earlier trucks. Dodge did it right in the 2nd gens when they started up that sexy black interior, it's too bad they had a brain fart and killed it in '06.:doah: The slate grey looks ok, but I'd kill to have your seats and interior color. The new seats are hard.