Built for Towing 3500 xtra duty

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by 2007CUMMINZ, Mar 17, 2008.

1. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

Most of you guys have seen a lot of my photos. I want to share some info that may or may not influence your purchase of a SRW 3500 for towing heavy. Many of you are towing now with SRW trucks and most likely like them. Just compare the numbers and look at the "BFT" Built for Towing 3500 DRW 6.7L 2007.5 Dodge. I know a lot of you have had experienced trouble with the 6.7L but I have not. In my experience so far this is the best truck for HD work that DC has ever built. Many of you have blasted some of the items I have added and that is fine. That is why I live in the good old USA. When I add the 19.5s with aluminum 4000# cap. wheels I will have the best riding, best pulling, best mile per gallon for the money truck you can buy. And I am completely legal and all of my DC warranty is still in tact. The front end with 10ply 235x85x17s are maxed out right now. That is why I am going to 19.5s. (mainly for looks).
    Several things...
    The 6.7L is a larger engine and exhales more exhaust that the 5.9L .. The need for more fresh air in and getting the exhaust out more efficiently is a must for this engine.
    I have done that with the modded factory air box and free flowing K&N air filter and the removal of the factory intake tube baffling. I have helped the exhaust with the free flowing MBRP 5" exhaust (DPF back). It has less bends and larger bore. My engine runs quiet and still cooler than a factory truck.
    The much laughed at plastic wedges I designed to fit in my leaf pack is one of the best things I have done for less than 20 bucks. They give me still a smooth as possible ride unloaded and allow the large bottom overload to do their job much sooner. I have included a photo of my truck towing my 16k 5er with 4500 pounds of pin weight. If you look at it closely it does not look loaded.
    Also please note my weigh ticket from today. With all my mods, flairs, mud flaps, etc. I am right now at the max GVW for my front axle. That is mty. Note the total weight. That is already overloaded for a 2500 and close to max for a SRW 3500. Consider these facts before you kill yourself.
    The flairs and mud flaps are for protection of my 5er.
    This 6.7L with 68rfe with 4.10s will out pull, and outrun any 5.9L with 48re equipped the same.

BFT is really "Built For Towing".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I wish my truck weighed that little. I think BFT should stand for built ford tough. Nice rig by the way.

3. 4x4chase

4x4chase Well-Known Member

hey is there a link to the wedges you did or how about some info. Love the idea just curious where you got theme?

4. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

To me they look like tree falling wedges you can get at any logging supply.

5. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    Bfrt&m

Okay, I just read the post on BFT and I have to say that it is a nice little set up, but I would gladly put up my 300K + mile 06 5.9 up against it any day of the week. Warranty? what is that? I would not take my truck to a dealer anyway. At 300K plus, and running an edge at level 5 all the time, I have only replaced 1 injector at210K and never had to replace a ball joint or any suspension part other than shocks at 280K.

Fuel mileage? When I am empty running 65 I get about 21-23 depending on weather and grades and I change oil every 25K not before. I don't rotate my tires and get 80-100K from a set and I am usually running at about 25K GVW.

I had my dually running 80-90 mph in the desert of Yuma just a week ago and then hooked up to a trailer and ran Vegas to Cincinatti at an everage of 16.7 mpg.

BFT? Maybe, talk to me when it hits 500,000 miles. :D:popcorn:

6. jake

jake Well-Known Member

What are you saying? That the 6.7 won't run as good as your 5.9?:stir: :rolleyes:

I have a '04 dually with the 4 speed auto, and I believe two more gears would improve it a bunch. You might run with him on the flat, but in town and hills the new 6 speed auto will blow you away.

And reliability? Are you sugesting that your truck can handle 500,000 mi. better that a new one?

I think 2007CUMMIZS has a nice ride.waytogo

7. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:

I am suggesting that until you have towed 500,000 miles on a particular rig, you don't know if it is built for towing or not. I have yet to be out towed by a 6.7 and I sure as heck don't follow ANYONE up a hill. BFT may end up proving me wrong, but I can take a 300,000 mile truck and pt up against BFT and I am suggesting that while both trucks are great, I will end up with better fuel mileage, stronger towing ability and less maintenance cost.

The additions he has made are nice, but as someone that has to tow any kind of trailer on any given day in any weather condition, road condition, Off road condition and varying degrees of trailer conditions, only time will tell if it is really built for towing.

There is also the difference of a tow rig that hauls part time versus full time, that runs heavy trailers versus light trailers and wear and tear can increase greatly by having to adjust 5th wheels, moving ball hitches around every day etc... that changes the wear points, changes the weight balances and constantly changes the degree at which your engine is being asked to operate.

Think of it like this...

They test our trucks in wind tunnels, on test tracks and for a few thousand miles in various areas, but that will never meet the aggression that mother nature throws at you with 90 mph side wind gust, pot holes while breaking with a 21,000 trailer on the back and some of the things these trucks can see.

BFT is a beautiful truck, and I am sure it is great, but that would be like me claiming that my truck was the best tow truck... I don't know that to be true, but I do know that with 5 trucks over 300,000 miles on them, and no sign of slowing down, I am probably closer to being proven then most.

I would be interested in knowing what stall speed TC is being used, what kind of towing adaptations have been made to the valve body, is there a bigger clutch pack in the transmission, and what decrease in suspension over 50k,75k, and 100k have been noted?

What has been done to lower EGT and Boost levels, what cost have been lowered and how for routine maintenance etc...

These are the things I need to know about a tow rig, not what kind of liner was sprayed on the fender wells. :) :stir:

8. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

I think what Tim's trying to say is this: there is a million 5.9's running and running strong out there some stock, many modified to one degree or another (my dad's 93 has 255K by itself) Now enter the 6.7. It is relatively new and virtually unproven. Don't get me wrong, it promises to be a contender, but as with any new technology, there will be glitches to be worked out. (like that stupid soot trap - the 08 MACK I drive for work has one and that thing is always trying to cycle itself - UGGH!!)

Give the 6.7 some time to prove itself like the 5.9 has done so well, over and over... Then again, what do I know, I still like the 6.5 waytogo

9. fubar

fubar Member

The wood splitting wedges look terrific. The zip ties even better. I don't own a Dodge, but have to ask: What was the purpose of this post? Mine's better or bigger than yours? :popcorn:

10. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

I have to side with Tim on this one. I own a 6.7 and had a 5.9. Both are and were used commercially. 6.7 stock is stronger than a stock 5.9. However, my 6.7 while towing heavy threw the hills and even when its windy on the flats runs pretty hot. 210 water temp, and 1400 constant on the egts and gets about 8 to 9 mpg when towing heavy. I haven't had any issues with the truck yet at 70k. Compare that to my 5.9, same towing situation water temp rarely will get to 200 degrees and the egts hold around 1200 sometimes 1250. As for fuel mileage the 5.9 will average 10 to 11 mpg pulling the exact same loads. Which one will last longer, my vote goes to the 5.9 its proven period. I hope that the 6.7 turns out to be just as reliable as the 5.9. I wish I would have found a truck with the 5.9 instead of the 6.7 purely from owner operator stand point.Operation cost difference about 2 mpg towing, having to change your oil at 7500 miles because it is soot loaded compared to 20k plus miles of a 5.9. I am not bashing the 6.7 but I feel it has a ways to go before it can be compared to 5.9. I'm hoping its a great engine however, mostly because I own one! Everyone has there own opinion and thats what great about forumswaytogo

11. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

If you look at the coolant capacity of the 5.9 and 6.7 you will see that the 5.9 has a larger capacity and could account for the lower water temps. The 6.7 has Siamese cylinders that the 5.9 does not, but the radiator as far as I know is the same size. That could account for the higher water temps.

12. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Same here....
    Only time will tell
    Seem pretty much so.
    I think the higher temps might have to due with fuel being burnt more efficently myself hence the higher temps all around.

13. 2007CUMMINZ

Adding my custom built cold air intake and the 5" MBRP exhaust seems to have lowered my engine temps.

CumminZ

14. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

Gonna have to score a pair of those wedges.

15. 2007CUMMINZ

I have 20k on my 6.7L now. I just spent 3 weeks out west going thru the Rockies and 6k doing it @ 9.5mpg. Not cheap. The last part of the trip I was grossin' 26,440#s with the RV and load of CO. red rock. I would not trade this 6.7L for all the 5.9s I have had just for the pullin' of the 6 speed 68rfe. I drained my Mobil 1 oil with 6k on it and shipped sample off to BlackStone. I have also added the new kit from AMSOil (the remote bypass). Added 4 gallons of oil to truck at this installation and oil stick was still just a little low. I think every diesel needs a bypass filter if you are going to keep it a while.

16. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Mobil 1 is now diesel rated? :confused: And what is your reasonong on your last sentence?

17. 2007CUMMINZ

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

[​IMG]

The last sentence was referring to newer trucks. I normally trade every 2 years. I normally use a good grade oil. But no longer. With the newer trucks creating more soot I would use the oil grade that is recommended by DC and change oil every 3-4k miles. BUT the truck I am driving now My wife considers my retirement truck. I installed the bypass filter because I plan to keep it quite a while.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  18. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me ! Was not aware of the new Mobil 1.

19. Josh86k10

Josh86k10 New Member

05 Dodge 3500

I have just replaced the Exhust manfld & Turbo due to heat damage. & added the ETG & Boost on the a pilar . This truck is used for pulling a 40' trailer with medium to lite loads.
    My question is about the Banks Bullet controler . $300.00 for 30/60 HP.
    Commets Please .

20. 2007CUMMINZ

Tim,

I now have 40,000 miles on my 3 year old truck and it is still running strong. I am catching up with your 500k.waytogo

Later