Decreased truck weight

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by hound, Feb 22, 2010.

1. hound

hound Member

What have any of you done that really takes the weight off of your tow rig. What's been the best bang for your buck?

Remove bed; aluminum wheels; no spare tire; take off tow hooks in the front; etc.

I had a friend that used to make titanium parts for NASCAR types that were coated in Iron to pass the "magnet test". I'm not to that point yet; just getting started.

Posted on another site, but I think that is more of a hotrodder forum, perhaps this is a better spot for this.

Regards,

Matt Berk

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    I take it your racing this truck? I bet you could loose close to 100 pounds by ditching the carpet, sound deadning material, door panels, back seat if it's a crew cab.

3. hound

hound Member

I wish it was 2wheel vs 4x4. It's a work truck.

It's a bone stock 2006 DRW 6.0 right now with a steel flatbed that is welded on for the moment. I just load it to the gills and it would be nice to take the weight off.

I notice that all the crap and tools that wind up in there actually weighs quite a bit. It got my mind going

4. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Not sure what kind of tools etc. you put on your flat bed but if you could get away with a normal bed that might save some weight?

5. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

A Cummins would take care of your weight problem AND your power problem. waytogo

6. mike6187

mike6187 Member

What is/are the main purpose(s) for decreasing weight of one's truck? Is it for better performance? speed? etc? Can anyone explain it? I'm just curios :confused:

7. hound

hound Member

I max out the payload quite a bit and there are plenty of DOT, weigh stations and other issues on my Philly to Richmond runs. I might do more of them if I can get more material on my truck.

I also use it to drive long distances to the midwest to do sales and training stuff for customer so I am either driving it fully loaded or unloaded basically. Both cases less weight is nice; certainly when trying to squeeze another few sheets of plywood on.

I have a 25' gooseneck deckover with a beaver tail and a wood deck. I may get a 12-18 aluminum deckover without the ramps since I don't tow machinery anymore. Takes some weight off the trailer.

Looking more at the truck right now since I've been running just two pallets of plywood and they fit on the flatbed.