Steering stabalizer

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by FireCat, Mar 21, 2011.

1. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I am trying to remove my old steering stabalizer and replace it with a new dual shock set up.....{smashed the old one on somebodys spare tire on the freeway} I got the bolt thru end undone no prob, but cant get the other end that has a stud thru the steering linkage undone....any ideas..?:confused:

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Is there enough room to get a sawzall blade in there to cut the shock stud?

3. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

stabalizer

I almost resorted to cutting it off with a sawzall or a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel....but i gave it one more try with a bigger hammer and the pickle fork and it decided to cooperate...!!! got the new pro-comp set up all bolted in and working nice in about an hour and half... mind you i had to do this on my drive way in the snow.... oh well got it done and trucks back on the road...

4. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Never underestimate the power of a bigger hammer! :D

5. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

Thats right ...i was told by a mechanic along time ago that when all else fails ....GET A BIGGER HAMMER....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waytogo

6. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

Bigger and hammer and a pickle fork usually does it. You should up pics of the new one installed.

7. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I would put pics up but to be honest i dont have a clue on how to....i am a computer retard....but i can tell ya about the install and brand. Its a pro comp set up.. bolted on pretty easy, took about an hour to install.....counting the couple of beers, and the snow i had to deal with during the install. Total cost out the door from 4 wheel parts whoesale was like $ 172.00 with tax. The instructions were easy to follow and it just took a 3/4" end wrench, 3/4" socket/ratchet and a 9/16 socket/ratchet. I think anybody with a little mechanical aptitude could install one without any problems........waytogo

8. john12121

john12121 Member

Hello FireCat..As you had recently put Dual stabilizers, i want to know experience of using it..I was planning to replace single shock stabilizers to dual but some friends told me dual shock would do more harm than good, because it would make the p.s. pump work harder than it needs to. what is your experience....?