What brand of oil to use ????

Discussion in 'Oils and Lubricants' started by FireCat, Dec 6, 2008.

1. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

Thinking of switching to a synthetic oil becuase i put alot of miles on my truck ( 10 months old and has 44,378miles already) I have looked at Royal Purple and Amsoil. Any diffrence ? If so...whats the diff?? :dunno:

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Royal Purple uses certain things in their oils like Moly that don't really make it good for long term use. Amsoil is designed around longer drain intervals.

Now, on that note, what motor do you have? You didn't list any specific information.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd use Amsoil. Their oils are designed for long term use in daily conditions where oil gets beat down more by heat cycles, idling, and inconsistant engine loads than say, running around a circle track at 8,000rpm for 3 hours.

4. idontcare909

idontcare909 Active Member

Media:
    what do you think ot the synthetic rotella T? thats what i've been using but am looking to switch to amsoil one of these days......

5. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Rotella Syn is not truely a Synthetic. The term "Synthetic Oil" is a very loose term, unfortuately. Long story short, there are many types of "synthetic" oil. Rotella is one of the posers. See, there is no legal definition of a synthetic oil, so companies can use that phrase as they see fit. They have changed their MSDS sheet recently. I looked it up to copy and paste it here, but it used to read 99% Highly refined petroleum distilates. So, mineral oil refined a bit more, thats all. Is it good oil, yes. Is it as good as Amsoil, no.

6. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

Sorry i didnt list the specifics...I have a 2007.5 6.7L Cummins in a crew cab dually 4X4 with stick shift

7. Diesel Nut

Media:
    With the 6.7 you need to use the newer spec oil With Amsoil this is the DEO 5W40.

If you want to run extended drains, you need to doa few things

Bypass filter
    Amsoil Diesel Concentrate every tank
    Oil analysis @7500 miles.

The newer spec oil is a real step down in oil technology. They took away 2 points on the TBN, from 12 to 10, thus the oil cannot negate as much acid. Add EGR to the mix and you have a very harsh environment for oil to live. The Amsoil Diesel Concentrate is designed with some special additives to help oil maintain its TBN

8. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I thought i heard a rumor that your not supposed to use fuel additives to the new diesels...? any truth to that?????? I would like to do the bypass filter regardless just to keep the oil cleaner/better condition. Your thoughts....??????

9. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would vote for Amsoil... I have never heard of anyone having any problems with it.

Not to mention when I first switched over to Amsoil motor oil, my truck idled noticeably smoother.

10. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

I use Rotella Syn with Opti-Lube fuel AND oil additive. I get almost 2mpg better now. Amsoil is a better oil though.

11. Got SMOKE???

Got SMOKE??? Member

AMSOIL without a doubt

12. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

There is no doubt in my mind that Amsoil is a superior oil. I use it, and love it.
    Scott

13. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

Royal purple was made mainly for racing applications and not long term/long mileage type use....AMSOIL and LUCAS make synthetics for long interval/over the road type applications. Manufactures strictley say not to run any fuel additives to all new diesels..i.e low sulphur diesel fuel. Most of this comes from that all the new DPF's can become easily plugged with additional soot/carbon/junk that may be added by us. I have not tried any fuel additives in my cummins 6.7 nor do i plan to... part of that being i am a wimp and cant afford to take any chance of messing something up....mind you this is all from some basic research that i have done and my personal opinion...... waytogo

14. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I run the valvoline stuff that is approved for use by Cummins. For gear oil and tranny fuild I have amsoil in there.

15. john12121

john12121 Member

I always use Amsoil so cannot say anything about Royal Purple..Amsoil is little pricey, but very quality product .By Switching to Amsoil synthetic oil your vehicle will get new lease on life..AMSOIL are consistently outperforming over other conventional and synthetic oils in terms of performance, including wear protection, extreme high and low temperature performance,volatility and fuel economy etc.....