What type of gooseneck hitch?

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Feb 16, 2005.

1. HotShotHaul

HotShotHaul Member

2. kilo

kilo New Member

These are probably dumb questions to the old-timers but I was hoping someone could help me out here.

So the B&W Companion is a 5th Wheel on top of a Gooseneck Turnover Hitch right? I would slide the 5th Wheel part off, take the square tube rail out, and replace it with the ball hitch?

And when you buy the B&W Companion, does it come with everything including the ball hitch to pop in?

Last thing, is there a place to hook the chains for a gooseneck on the B&W Turnover system?

Thanks a lot :D

3. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I have the B&M set up and love it..plus if you ever get a fifth wheel the hitch for that just drops right in ..!!!!

4. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

yes. Just remove the companion and drop the ball right in.

You first have to buy the gooseneck setup and then the companion is sold apart.
    There are pop up rings for a set of safety chains.

5. surprise

surprise Member

My '79 I have, when I got it I found it had a '79 fifth-wheel installed first, mostly bolted to the bed, but with 4 flimsy angle brackets single-bolted to the frame. To this someone had multi-spot-welded a 3/8" plate of mild steel, in the bed, then added a ball ( behind the axle ) Under the bed was a C-channel, running most of the length of the bed, with the ball nut being the only thing holding it in place.
    I have seen the last 2 trailers this set-up pulled, about 6 years ago now. One is a 2-horse trailer that gets crammed with 6 cows, the other is a flatbed 8-wheeler that carries 15 large rectangle bales of hay.
    That it has survived amazes me.
    On my '06, and on my previous pickups, my strategy is a 1" slab of mild steel across the tops of the frame rails, bolted through the slab and rails with plenty of 1/2", grade-8 bolts. On my '06, the rails are at 42" outside measurement, so I ordered a 43" slab. This time I saw room for an 8" length, so that's what it is.

6. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

You might want to check this site? Maybe you can get a good deal and you don't have to worry about getting yours welded.
    http://www.hitchanything.com/

7. Hawkins

Hawkins Member