What's the next step?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by chance.gassett, Nov 11, 2011.

1. chance.gassett

chance.gassett New Member

Hello everyone, another FNG, Just wanted to get a little input on general service for 6.2. I have a 2WD 1989 box style crewcab GMC with a morrison work box on it that I bought about three years ago for a grand. I use the hell out of it as a work truck and it's been a great truck that doesn't own me dime but it's getting to the point to where I want to start making it into what I really want and I need to show the old girl some love. Eventually I want to 4WD it but I figure I need to get the motor right first. Since I bought it, I have had to give a little squirt of starting fluid to get her going first thing in the morning and anytime the truck sits for more than 20 minutes Don't know what the hell that's all about but it's a great conversation starter when I go out on a date. Second of all, I only get about two months out of the glow plug relay before I have to replace it and at $75 a pop, it's adding up. Third of all, I was servicing it the other day and noticed a bit of white smoke from the crankcase breather getting sucked right back into the intake; never noticed that before. I would presume its a somewhat normal thing, but it just seems a little excessive to me. I don't know if a tear down is feasible at this point, but I need to figure something out. The truck runs great, doesn't leak any fluids and gets awesome fuel mileage. I am thinking about a rebuilt pump, marine injectors, new glow plugs and relay and a timing set. Does this sound like a descent start or am I wasting my time? any help would be great.

2. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

I think I would start with a compression test. If everything is good there, I would move to your glow plug system. I believe SS Diesel Supply sells an instant heat glow plug kit for the 6.2. Either destroys glow plugs. I would replace all eight plugs and the relay with SS Diesel parts. Trust me, SS Diesel parts made a huge difference in my 6.5 over NAPA or Checker parts. I would also check all the wiring in the glow plug system, make sure there are no shorts. Check the voltage going to the relay. Those should last 100,000 miles, so if it is repeatedly going out you need to find the reason. Also check your engine block heater. I usually don't plug mine in until it starts getting below 30 degrees or so, but if it is working properly, it will make morning starting a lot easier. 'Course I remember my dad always saying that if you use either too much, the engine will get to a point where it requires it to start. Don't know if that is true or not. As far as the smoke, couldn't tell you. My advise for everything else, if the truck runs good and is getting good fuel mileage, fix the starting issues, and leave the rest alone. Here is the link for the instant heat plugs: http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/product_8_6.5_InstantHeat_Glow_Plugs.html
    Hope this helps.