new to site stumbling around

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by codyk68, Apr 10, 2012.

1. codyk68

codyk68 New Member

I bought a 1996 12v 5.9 w 250 k on odo. I was getting 11 towing and 13 allaround mileage with a 4 in exhaust took it to mech to adjust timing and other things he adjusted timing and it ran horrible when I test drove it in less than a mile it had a spontaneous overheat which caused the truck to quit running acted as if starved for fuel or partiallyclogged filter blew out side of radiator and wouldnt start. He said 5 cylinders are around 150 lbs compr. and one at 340 can anyone give advice.
    thanks
    cody

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    You have a mess of problems. My guess is a bad head gasket first off. Low compression on 5 cyl and a blown out rad and overheating lead me to believe that. Since you didn't have the issues before the timing my guess he either he bumped it too far or the increase was enough to kill it. Advancing timing increases cylinder pressure. Things get worse if the guy doesn't really know what he's doing. Fortunately, a head gasket and some studs should fix your issues there. If there is a major problem in the bottom end you'll know when the head is off. Obviously you need a radiator.

Where did he set the timing? What else did he adjust?