stake pocket mounted Wind Deflector

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by bikernut, May 20, 2007.

1. bikernut

bikernut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am thinking about a wind deflector when pulling my new toy hauler and I don't like the idea of the suction cups on the roof or hard mounting it to the roof with screws so the next thing is a stake pocket mounted Wind Deflector but I can't seem to find any. I know I have seen them but a search in Google and Yahoo turn up zero results, does any body know who makes them and where can I see them to see if it is really something I want and of course the price? thanks

2. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

all I've seen are custom home builds

3. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Active Member

I want to know too.... I saw one driving down the road the other day but I couldn't stop to ask where it came from.

4. khalsey

khalsey Member

5. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Active Member

Is yours mounted to the stake pockets or on the truck. It looks like it is in the stake pockets. Thanks for that link. It is a little steeper than I expected for the stake pocket one but I may jump into one eventually anyway.

I have a pretty big gap between my truck and the camper due to the way the kingpin is attached. I am thinking the stake pocket would be better than the roof top.

[​IMG]

6. khalsey

khalsey Member

Mine is mounted in the stake pocket. I did drill a extra hole through the lower part of the square tube frame and add a bolt in the forward position from the stake pocket because it was not solid enough for me. It has spring loaded struts that pushes down when you get moving and has several holes so you can select the angle you want. I lower it when not towing but it has to be up when towing or it will hit the trailer when turning sharp.

7. Ramified

Ramified Active Member

Albums:
    I saw a stake pocket mounted deflector in J C Whitney. I don't remember teh details, though.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    most of the ones i have seen are not really stake pocket mounted, but headache rack mounted. might not be a bad way to go...

9. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Active Member

I looked at the ones at JC Whitney and I looked for them online as well. The problem that I see with them is that they use 2x2 tubing to make their own headache rack of sorts and then they use the same 2x2 tubing on the bed rail to provide the support where they have an internal compression clamping system that locks into the stake pockets like those stake pocket tie down points do. Then there is a bolt that goes through the 2x2 square tubing and holds the whole thing down.

Since I have an over the rails tool box I can't use this style without either getting a new tool box or "modifying" the frame on it just so I can keep my current tool box. I may eventually make my own headache rack setup so that I can put a regular defletor on it. I would have to cut the 2" tubing out and put a couple of pieces of 1/4" plate so that I could keep my toolbox like it is. I can clear my toolbox with the camper now no problem but I couldn't if I had it 2" higher.

For the time being I think I am going to try one of the less expensive ones that strap on to the top of the truck where the back doors are. Anything has to be better than not having it. I had an oil drain pan in my truck the other day when I was taking the camper to the dealer. I bet it had a quart or two left in it but not a lot. The wind was enough to blow the drain pan out of the bed of the truck and onto the side. It was flopping around against the side of the truck because I had a bungee cord holding it in place to keep it from sliding around.

When I was coming back from camping during the new year I had an entire kitchen sized bag of garbage blow out of the truck out from under the front of the camper. I thought that it would be fine but I guess it is much more turbulant in there than I ever expected.

http://www.icontechltd.com/productcart/pc/Wind-Deflectors-c11.htm

WD600 is the one that I am going to get I think. They have a good marketing effort and it is reasonably priced. Maybe it won't be too hard to get parts if something messes up.

10. EricBu12

EricBu12 New Member

I have the trail Eze-II Works very well. I have a 36' toyhauler and the way the deflector goes vertical for clearance to turn.

Heres some pics of my install

Attached Files:

11. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Nice pics Eric!
    Now if you had some pics of it out of the driveway!:stir:

rotfl

See ya at May Madness next year!waytogo

12. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Active Member

That is exactly what I want but I am trying to find one used so I don't feel so bad about cutting the flat part off the bottom and replacing it with flat plate instead of tubing. I still want to be able to have my over the rails tool box mounted while towing as well.

I really like that setup and after this last 1000 mile trip I am convinced that I have to have it. I may just suck it up and try to figure out how to mount the toolbox anyway and just try to be careful about cutting too deep.

Thanks for the pictures. I guess I will buy that one and be done with it. I like the graphics... I have been thinking about painting whichever one I get silver to match my truck instead of leaving white. I am so pissed off at my camper manufacturer that I won't be giving them any free advertising. I have considered taking their label off the front anyway just because they pissed me off.

13. bikernut

Media:
  14. BEROWDY

BEROWDY Active Member

That would look good bolted to the top of one of my Headache Racks haha

Attached Files:

15. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Active Member

I do like those headache racks. I have a little problem though. My toolbox is an over the rail version and to top that off I have a single lid that has a rail welded to the top so that I can strap to it. I really like the setup of the box but I am having difficulty finding racks that will work with it that I am willing to pay for.

I am going to try to fab something up after I get the wing.

Looks good though Rowdy

16. BEROWDY

BEROWDY Active Member

If you do just he rack with out the full bed rails thats mounted to the rack the tool box wouldnt be a problem, I can even make it to where theres a gap for your tool box so it can set down between the rack and the rails. My racks are all built ontop of 2x3 angle iron thats 3/16th thick. the base of the rack sits on the 2" and the 3" piece sets down in the bed for support. Then on the side rails I flip it so the 3" covers the bed rail and the 2" sits down in the bed. Makes its nice and strong, One benfit is it adds so much strength to the bed rails. I did one for a guy and he droped his loaded gooseneck on the bed and its dented the side rail but didnt do anything to the angle iron or the bed he was so happy cause that saved him from alot of body work he said.

17. bikernut

Media:
    what does one of them home made head ache racks go for?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  18. BEROWDY

BEROWDY Active Member

I ship them all bare metal cause we had so many problems with the powder coating getting scratched in shipping. For just the rack with no bed rails and 3 x clear LEDS its 500.00 + shipping and with the full bed rails added to the rack its 625.00 + shipping. There all made out of 3/16th in steal and come with 3 LEDS and the wiring for them and mounting hardware. Normaly it costs about 100.00 for people to get them painted. My price has had to go up cause the price of steal in Arizona has gone up 200 percent sinch Jan 1st. Its starting to get out of control between the price of steal and the price of Diesel its a pretty hard hit some months.

19. bikernut

Media:
    thanks for the info and I will try and start to save up but living here in NH and having an oil fired furnace it will be a long road for me to do but I will try.

20. Brett

Brett New Member

Cool. I am trying to invent me one. Thanks for the ideas!