Powerstroke guy going to cummins

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by StrokerDon78, May 3, 2010.

1. StrokerDon78

StrokerDon78 Active Member

Media:
    I currently own a 96 F350, I am seriously thinking about getting a Dodge. I know that the cummins is a better engine overall, but which cummins is best, and has less problems, more potential for power? The 6.7L or the 5.9L 24V? Any info and help would be great thanks.

2. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

IMHO, go with the 5.9 CTD. I have the 3rd Gen 2006 quad cab dually and I love it. No experience with older models, sorry. Ive had a Chevy DMax, Ford 6.0 PS (POS more like it). This is my first dodge and I will likely be buried in it. My dad has one, 2005 CTD, and he works s**t out of his and its got just under 300k on his (296k and some change). I dont work mine that hard as I only pull a 33' travel trailer about 4-5 times a year. You wont be sorry. I have a friend who bought a new Dodge with the 6.7. He loves the power but his fuel mileage SUCKS! Something to consider.

3. jeff nohre

jeff nohre New Member

I have a 2002 dodge ram cummins 4x4 that I bought new in 2002. I just turned 280,000 and have loved owning this truck and cannot see myself trading it in for a new one. I have replaced the vp-44 once (on warranty thankfully) but then I got a fuel pressure gauge so no problem since. Through the years have upgraded my truck with borg warner 62 series phat shaft turbo, 100gph raptor lift pump, 1/2 in fuel line kit. Aes intake elbow and CAI. Also installed 125hp dap injectors and a full billet rev-max tranny that has performed flawlessly. I get 26 mpg hwy and run an estimated 550hp and 1100 tqe with drag comp on 5x5. I would recommend the 24 valve 5.9 diesel based on my experience

4. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    That's some good millage.

5. jeff nohre

jeff nohre New Member

yes it is pretty good, my all-time best at 52mph on a flat rode with slight tail wind was 28+ mpg. I use 3 additives in every tank of fuel which I know helps some. I use marvel mystery oil, power service diesel cetane boost and tcw-3 2-stroke oil at a rate of 2 oz of each for each 20 gallons of fuel. I run 5-40 rotella synthetic oil with mopar filter and add 1/2 qt mmo and 1/2 qt dura-lube to every oil change. at 3000 miles I drop filter and replace new filter and 1 qt rotella. At 6000 miles I drain all oil and put drain plug back in and add 1 gallon diesel fuel to crankcase and let it soak for 30 minuets. Then drain that out(comes out black as coal and the new oil stays clean alot longer.) I run 90-140 full synthetic rear end oil with 2 bottles of mopar friction modifier. Front axle has 80-90 full synthetic. I also add 2 oz of motor-kote to both axles and to transfer case. I change oil in transfer case and axles every 30,000 miles. I change transmission fluid and filter every 25 thousand miles. Also will add that my ctd has never used any oil in 281,000 miles. Everything going strong at 281,000. I have not even had to replace wheel bearing hubs. I upgraded to the rev-max trans because I was doing the upgrades to motor but the original trans was good, rev-max gave me 1000.00 trade-in for it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. DarellS

DarellS Member

Man that's impressive mileage for your 2002 Dodge Ram Cummins. We are currently working at a 2005 Dodge Ram Cummins which is currently at 178k miles. Your formulation of additives and oils seema a great one. I will suggest that to my uncle. She will get a new set of tires, rockstar wheels and some LED light upgrade.