02 F350 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by Hauln Da Load, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Hauln Da Load

Hauln Da Load Member

Media:
    Hello everyone,
    I have a 02 F350 4x4 Dually SD with the 7.3 Powerstroke and need some help with a couple of problems.
    1)I have a severe starting problem that has just gotten worse, when starting in the morning I would have to cycle it about 5 times before it would start. I live in Hollywood FL. and should not have this problem with the heat we have been having here, even on cooler days it still doesn't get that cool that I should not be able to start without cycling.

2)The truck has also now started draining the batteries overnight. I've taken it to two local auto parts store and had them do a charging system check and both say that the alternator and batteries are fine. I have even put in a new alternator and the problem still persist.
    It was even suggested by a good friend of mine to disconnect the batteries and connect a test light between the neg and see if the light would come on indicating a short/drain in the system. He then told me if the light came on to just pull the fuses one by one until it went out. I pulled every fuse and relay I could find under the dash and still the test light would not go out.
    Can anyone tell me exactly where the relay for the glow plugs is located in the engine compartment.
    I would really appreciate any and all help. I can be reached on my cell @ 954)237-9634.

Thanks
    Garson

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    You should be able to go to your local napa/checker/pep boys etc. and look through a haynes manual etc. to find out where it is, hell you don't even have to buy the manual.

3. Hauln Da Load

Hauln Da Load Member

Media:
    Duh... I never thought of that. I'll give a try today and see what I can find out.

Thanks
    Garson

4. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

The Glow Plug Solenoid looks like a Starter Solenoid and I think it is mounted on the Passenger side valve cover on the intake side and you should be able to reach standing in front of the grill.

My 90 F250 with the IDI 7.3 had the solenoid mounted behind the air cleaner at the rear of the block and would go out about once a year and would not starta at all with out a pull.

You can get a set of manuals from International/Navistar.

5. Hauln Da Load

Hauln Da Load Member

Media:
    WSTEPHENS,
    Thanks for the info. I found it and will pick one up from Pep Boys for $64.96. Man they are exspensive for such a small part.

Thanks

6. WSTEPHENS

I hope that solves your problem. That price is a bargin I was paying over $100 for them from International. The last time I bought one it was fine but the heavy gauge wire for one of the leads had burned in two and had to improvise by getting the heavest gauge and make two leads to carry the current and never replaced it again for the next 2 years i had the truck. When the ZF5 transmission needed to be rebuilt I traded it in for a 99 Dodge.

7. Hauln Da Load

Hauln Da Load Member

Media:
    If that was the only problem I had it would be great. There is something now draining the batteries overnight. I have had the truck for 3 years with no problems until last year when I had to get the tranny rebuilt. I guess that should have been a warning of the problems to follow.
    I was always a Chevy/GM guy until I bougth a Ford conversion 4 years ago but then sold it for the F350 to pull our 26' Toy Hauler, I guess I'll have to switch back to Chevy/GM or even look at a Dodge.

Garson

8. WSTEPHENS

I had a lot of corrosion in the battery cables and they were a dealer only item and about $160 10 years ago. I also found that I had to replace the batteries before the warrenty was up because it was very hard on batteries and you should replace them in a pair. As long as it had good batteries it seemed to be fine but they would not last more than a couple of years.

9. WSTEPHENS

My 90 F250 was on its 3rd transfer case and at 197,000 miles I lost 3rd gear in the Z5 transmission and the cost would have been about the same as the trade in I got for a 99 Dodge CTD. My Dad's 97 F350 with a Z5 transmission was replaced after his warrenty was up because of bad syncros and Ford would not do anything until he was out of warrenty.

My 99 Dodge would not start in warm weather with a boost from my battery charger when one battery went bad but was fine with a new set.

Have you checked to make sure your injector lines are all tight including the inlet to the injector pump. My Ford had one injector line go bad and not seal on the injector seat. And when the pump went bad it would get air and not start until I bleed about 3 injectors. So I replaced the high altitude pump for the highest HP pump for a non turbo IDI. The core is more than the cost of the pump or was for a non computer controled pump.