24 valve injectors

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by stevescummins, Mar 6, 2008.

1. stevescummins

stevescummins Active Member

I just got my new injectors in the mail today. I've never done them before. The book says you need the injector puller and the tool to pull the connector tube. Do I really need these to do the job? How long should I figure on it taking? Any advice would really be helpful. Thanks guys

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

No, just regular hand tools.

3. DEMON

DEMON Well-Known Member

flat head screwdriver to pry back the cross tubes. Use one of the valve cover bolts to thread into the top of the injector, and get a (what I use anyways) set of fairly big long handles needle nose plyers and pry up under the bolt head......lever action. If you don't pull the crosstube back far enough the injector won't come up, no matter how hard you pry. once you get the touch on the first one. they get easier every time.

when you remove the injector retainers........only remove the FRONT bolt. don't touch the rear bolt of the retainer. it tilts out. you need an 8 mm socket for that one. 19mm or 3/4" wrench to remove the injector line nuts at the head. It'd be a good idea to loosen the injector hold down clamps to give the room you need to pull the cross tubes back. 15-16mm for the valve cover bolts.

make sure you get the copper sealing washer out with every injector. if one stays down, use a flat blade screwdriver that has a tip slightly smaller than the opening, put it down and swedge the washer onto the tip to remove it from the head.

thats all I can remember right now. I can do an injector swap in about 90 minutes now. If you've never done one before, but are mechanically inclinded count on 3-4 hours for sure, till you get the hang of getting the injectors out of the hole.
    Just do one at a time start at #1 and work back. 5 and 6 aren't hard just lay on the engine and get right in there.

4. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Pretty much what he said. A heeler bar is perfect for prying the injector up. Just take your time and keep everything clean.

When you are ready to fire it off, leave #1, #3 and #4 fuel lines slightly loose. Just enough so fuel can leak out. Once you have fuel dribbling out, tighten those up and it should fire. It may run rough for a minute while the system purges out the air.