3.73 gears and 35" tires?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by BIG DOG, Jun 6, 2010.

1. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member

I have been looking at this site for awhile now and think it is great. My 06 has 3.73 gears and 35" tires and i am fighting too high EGT's. EGT get to 1200+ very easy when towing 5000# boat around. I did a road trip last week unloaded and was playing with cruise control and found that at any 50, 60, and 70 mph the EGT went from 400 to 900 just by going up a mild hill. The rpm's for the mph were 1300, 1600, and 1800. I have a 5" Magnaflow turbo back exhaust, Banks ram air box, and Edge juice with attitude (above test on setting 1). should i be seeing this high EGT with an empty truck with these conditions? I have been looking into different gears or intercooler to lower EGT's but am I missing anything and/or is this normal?...

Thansk in advance

2. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

Way to vague bro! Is Your truck a 4x4 or 2wd, single or dually (with spacers)? Does it have a manual or auto trans? Stock turbo? Gears do help if your planning to keep the 35s. Intercooler??? Im sure your truck has one, but Im assuming youre talking about an aftermarket intercooler?

3. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member

Sorry for being vague. I thought my signature was on there with most of my info. It is just a single axle, stock turbo and intercooler. I am reading about intercooler and it is tough just read the advertissments as everyones product is the best according to themselves... the Banks intercooler looks nice but I have not heard much good things about Banks on this site because of cost. I have the Banks cold air intake and it made a huge improvement for throttle response. As for the gear change I have been told that 4.65 gears would put the truck back to stock like conditions but would also increase the RPM's. Would increasing the RPM's from what it is now help with EGT?

4. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

Do you have an aftermarket intake horn or is it stock? I have the Banks Intercooler, and it sure is nice, albeit its a bit pricey. I didnt do any research first, and bought it before I knew there were other manufacturers for less $. Yes, 4.56:1 gears will make your engine spin faster, sacraficing fuel mileage, but your egts will come down, and you'll be able to pull a house off its foundation. They're a bit steep for my taste IMO.
    If you have the stock intake horn, it has one heck of a restriction. You cant go wrong with an aftermarket whatever it is. My opinion only would be to go with 4.10:1 gears, but thats my opinion. Also keep in mind, you have big heavy tires & wheels, and it takes HP to get them started and keep them spinning. Do your research first, inquiring with professionals, before you make your final decision. (You can ask 30 different people the same question, and get 30 different answers because of 30 different experiences) Hope this helps, and I'm not being too vague! Good Luck waytogo Rodd

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  5. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have found that 4.10 gears work great with 315s which are almost 35s. I have had that combo on two different trucks and both did heavy towing about 3 times week.

6. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member

Thanks for the info so far. I still have a stock intake horn. This seems to be the last item to change that is restrictive on the intake. From what I have heard the stock intercooler isn't too bad and changing just the intake horn does wonders for mileage and EGT reduction. I am still looking into the gear swap. thanks for the 4:10 advice.

7. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

Hey Big Dog,

If youre interested, I have a Banks Hi-Ram intake horn for sale. See the "Parts for Sale" section. There is a full description and I can negotiate the price.
    Badboysrodd @live.com waytogo

8. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I would say 4.10's. That is what I have with 33's and am very happy with it. Outside of gearing, your EGT's sound abnormally high. What does it do with the Edge turned off completely?

9. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member

With the Edge turned off i get the same results.
    Thansk

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your temperature cruising with your boat at say 65mph on flat gound? You should be in the neighborhood of 900* or so, I would think. On a hill, that could vary a lot depending on the hill and how long it is. But, I wouldn't worry as long as you are around 1300* or less.

11. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member

RFJ's you are about right with the EGT's while towing. Mild hills are no issues but on the steep grades if i do not manually shift the tranny to 3rd the engine bogs and gthe EGT starts getting above 1300. If i shift down to 3rd and increase the RPM's the EGT's seem to stay under 1300.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I would think you're fine then.