4" Exhaust. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by redwoody, Dec 16, 2005.

1. redwoody

redwoody Active Member

What luck have any of you had with 4" exhaust? is it worth $350? any better economy? more power? better running, cooler engine? are they much louder? what about the straight through mufflers? are these systems difficult to install at home in the garage? with "average" tools? (but with above average intelligence! waytogo )
    thanks!

2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    It depends on which exhaust you get for most of your questions. But most are fairly easy to install at home and are intended to flow better, so they will be at least somewhat louder depending on the brand.

On most diesels, even chipped, the larger exhaust only provides lower EGTs under load and some report faster turbo spool. But I have not seen any hard data to support claims of significantly improved hp or fuel mileage, at least for the DMax, and I think also for the Ford...

3. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    The 4" exhaust will allow for better breathing, and with the removal of the cat (if you have) the engine will feel like it revs up quicker. The biggest feature will be the ability to run more fuel (chip, tuner) down the line. Without the exhaust you wont be able to use the hottest settings of the chip without extremely high EGTs. Id say that an intake, exhaust and gauges are the first 3 mods that should be done to ANY diesel truck that might see fuel increases in the future.

As for installation, it shouldnt be too bad depending on who makes the kit, some have better fit and finish than others, but you will obviously pay more for it. A few hours of work at most should be all it takes.

4. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Some people have complained about the drone (strait piped) at about 55, but ive been in several trucks and havnt heard a thing.

5. crzycowboy

crzycowboy Active Member

The people I've talked to like 4". Some will say stick with a 3.5" down pipe, but I feel a 4" down pipe will work. Your engine will only put out what its capable.(meaning all its cubic inches,..without doing major overhauling) All the mods in the world wont change that. I do agree with the above post, intake gauges, and exhaust is definatly the first things to do. As far as brand names....all depends on what you want to spend. I'd say do it, and have a little fun!waytogo

6. mbryson

mbryson Well-Known Member

I've got a straight-piped 7.3L PSD. I didn't even realize it until I got under the truck. I wouldn't say it's quiet (it's a diesel), but it's definitely acceptable.