6.0 Mods

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by 05' CO King Ranch, Feb 24, 2007.

1. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Long time no posts...
    Anyways, I have recently added to my truck a 4" Turbo Back System installed by Discount Exhaust Works in Colorado Springs, CO. Looks GREAT especially with the 4-5" Stainless Tip. I still have kept the Aero Turbine Muffler and the Cat is still on. Also I have the AirAid Cold Air intake and the Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner installed. I do love this truck!! I was wondering what anyone else thinks of the mods that I've made to my truck. I was hoping for more sound when I went to the 4" Exhaust but I can't notice any. I have seen that others have removed their Cats, but I'm concerned with Emission issues, and the fact that the 6.0 needs a certian amount of back pressure to get the most optimum performance. On my tuner I run it in the middle level (Performance) unless I'm towing then I run it on the Tow level. I don't have gauges but I'm not super concerned espically since I have gon to the 4" Turbo back.

Jeff:popcorn:

2. Patrick@DPP

Patrick@DPP Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The cat is what is killing your sound. What brand of Exhaust did you buy? Do they offer a cat delete pipe like MBRP or AFE? We sell alot of the AFE cat delete pipes, they fit the factory exhaust. You will hear some say that the 6.0 needs back preasure, and some say no it dont. Personally I dont understand why a forced induction system would need back preasure, but Im not engineer. I dont run a cat, and I dont think I have sacraficed any performance. I have tried with and with out. The Butt Dyno is not a precision measuring instrament for sure lol. I too run the AiRaid intake system. I like the ability of cleaning my filter as often as I see fit. The replacement elements are expensive. BullyDog is a fine product. There are others out there making more HP, but you seem to be happy with what you have, and thats what matters. I just got back from a trade show and got to play with Bullydogs new Tuner/Digital Display. It looks very nice, and has a great price on it. It also can be customized with differant backgrounds. It has a color screen, and is just the right size.

When you start thinking about gauges, checkout the Quadzilla Commander. It is very easy to install, and can be used as a standalone gauge. You also have the ability to set alarms for out of spec readings. It has a nice size screen for us visually challenged people lol, and can be mounted almost anywhere. They have recently come out with a pillar mount for it as well. The pod fits under your grab handle.

Have fun, enjoy your rig!

3. H-Power

H-Power Well-Known Member

hey king ranch
    how do you like the aero turbine muffler? does it have a deeper tone to it? i'm thinking about getting one my self.

4. 05' CO King Ranch

Media:

I do like the Aero Turbine Muffler!! Yes it does have a deep tone to it, kinda sounds like a gas V8 when you hammer down on it. Pretty loud and I like it that way. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I don't. I drove to denver this weekend to the Big as all outdoors show and that was the first real drive with the new 4" Exhaust and all I can say is WOW!! Great Sound and noticable power increase. It's like driving a 9,000 lb 22 foot long sports car. The exhaust company that did my work told me tha t the Aero Turbine is the loudest muffler that he knows of. Also I talked to him reguarding the removal of the Cat and he told me that you might get a bit more sound out of it but it's not enough to be noticable, same thing goes for the power increase. He also told me that since mine came with the Cat from the factory that it's illegal to remove it. I figured that he wouldn't be able to remove it but I valued his advice. He also said that the computer would have issues with the removal of the cat. I know that some have removed theirs and had no problems at all however I am going to leave mine in place and say that the power mods to my truck are complete unless anyone has any other ideas for me. Reguardless, H Power go get the Aero Turbine and let me know if you like it as much as I do?

Jeff

5. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I think you should ditch the 4' down pipe for a 3.5 and kill the cat. I run a 4' down pipe and my brother runs a 3.5 and you can feel the lag on the bigger down pipe. It takes longer for the turbo to spool with the bigger pipe. I think you next mod should be a pyrometer. The only trucks that I have seen that get a check engine light when the cat is gone is on the chevy 6.0 gassers.

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

A cat will only give you 4% more power its kinda pointless to take it off unless your in a Honda and need the 4% I know we have all heard how much more power this -insert vehicle name here- but come on 4% heck is it worth the fines if you do get a good look over one day or tighter emmisions. In all honesly I would try to keep all the emmisions controls on there not to sound like a hippy tree hugger but when I do have children I want them to breath clean air.

7. 05' CO King Ranch

Media:
    I have to honestly say that I am not real up on taking off the Cat. However I recently did remove my Aero Turbine muffler and decided that I wanted more noise. Have to say, I liked the Aero Turbine however the improved upon sound of the straight pipe is very cool I.M.O.. So needless to say if any one is intrested I have a used Aero Turbine Muffler that I don't need any longer. It's been in use for about a year. I still would recomend the Aero to anyone I just decided that I wanted a bit more sound.

Jeff

8. reddragon4x4

reddragon4x4 Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering, if it would be worth it to (for now)take off my stock muffler on my 07 F250 6.0? I'd like more sound, but also some better milage. What kind of milage increase did you notice(if any) after going with the 4 inch exhaust?

9. strictlyv8

i don't know if there is a noticeable mileage increase when removing the stock muffler. But I do have biddies on mine that just straight pipe their trucks by just removing the cat and muffler without changing anything else. The trucks sound great.

10. rocknbronco

You might want to look into that option but the Aero Mufflers are growing in popularity I must say.

11. reddragon4x4

I got my strait pipe put in yesterday and am noticing the the turbo kicks in a little quicker and runs about 2 to 3 psi higher at 60 mph. Not as loud as I thought it would be, but has a nice mellow rumble to it. I also didn't get a tip put on which might make it louder. Didn't take off the cat though because it will void my warranty :doah:

12. H-Power

H-Power Well-Known Member

planning on getting aero muffler soon just gotta save money keep spend it on my truck LOL

13. 05' CO King Ranch

Media:

Wait until you get a good and heavy load under it. The truck will sound impressive!! Trust me. I also did the 4" turbo back which might add some additional sound. Anyways you will notice more sound with a load on your truck.

14. rocknbronco

I heard a 6.0 spooling two months ago and man it sounded sweet going down the road, honestly made me wish I had one.

15. reddragon4x4

Yeah, I was towing my off road truck the other day (about 8,000 pounds) and it sounded great! Also, I'm up to about 6500 miles and it is getting better and better as far as mileage goes and power. I am still contemplating an aftermarket air filter to get better mileage, but the guys at the dealership say it will void my warranty or mess up the computer because it will have to compensate for the addded air flow. Who knows...

16. strictlyv8

The aftermarket filters aren't worth the hassles the stealership will give you if you have any problems. Most guys keep the stocker.

17. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

kill the kitty!

18. Shiner

Shiner Active Member

Stacks

I am considering stacks but I travel all over the country with a fifth wheel. I love a nice sounding exhaust but I dont want it to be uncomfortable in the cab for long distances. Comments please.

19. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

well then stacksprobly arent for you. they will make the cab noisy. just do a straight pipe with a 5 or 6 inch tip. youll like it. no exhaust noise in the cab either.

20. BubbaF-250

BubbaF-250 Member

I have a 4" turbo back on my truck with the cat delete. I then had problems with my gauge cluster n took it into the dealer. They gave me absolutley no problems about my exhaust not being stock.... or my xdi tru flow intake!waytogo