6.0 powerstoke engine fan engagement causing bad mileage

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by 9bstock, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 9bstock

9bstock Member

My 2006 F-250 is getting really poor milage towing a 6X12 enclosed. in the area of 10 mpg. The engine fan seems like it is pulled in more than not. The coolant temp gauge is right in the middle as usual. I unplugged the fan, got back on the highway and the mileage jumped up to almost 16 mpg. All of this was between 75-80 mph. Is anybody else seeing this? If so what was the fix. I took it to the local dealer and they ran the tests on it with no failure codes. My guess is 1 of the sensors is out of range. Telling the computer the engine is getting hot.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    if you unplugged the fan and did not get a SES or MIL light. take it back to the dealer you got problems,
    ecm/pcm stratergy needs the fan connected
    if yours is running all the time its got a broken sensor somewhere
    mine only comes on if its 97 or above and i climbed the mountain at 75 with 30 lbs of boost at 1300 egts.
    and even then for less than 45 seconds

TAKE IT back make em fix it right

3. 9bstock

9bstock Member

Since I asked my question I have taken it to another dealer. They found that there where codes in the memory. I caused them by unplugging the fan. While I had the fan unplugged the check engine light never came on.
    They reflashed the PCM. Seems to have straightened it out. Towed to Indianapolis for a race and it never came on. I towed the trailer the other night (loaded heavier than usual) to meet my buddy to send it home with him and the fan never came on unless I was pulling away from a traffic light. I have since cut the muffler off,put in a straight pipe(for now) along with a banks six-gun. The truck is now getting over 16mpg towing the trailer,19 by its self. I am really amazed. On a side note.... I spoke to a friend of freind that is a engine development guy for navistar. The fan on a 6.0 pulls 70 horsepower when fully engaged. no wonder it sounds like a plane taking off when locked up.
    Thank you for the advice.
    Tom

4. powerboatr

Media:
    Albums:
    great it all got fixed
    mine has sucked up small rodents
    also my kitty got sick and we have her on meds, she is termianl so i dont htink she wil lgo back on the truck WHAT a difference, lower egts and better low end grunt the full flow 4" exhaust helps some i think waytogo

glad to hear it got taken care of waytogo

5. 9bstock

9bstock Member

Please tell me what the "kitty" is.......

6. powerboatr

Media:
    Albums:
    the soot trap/catalytic converter
    its basically a large hole with screening in it to catch soot and stuff, it works quite well to at stopping airflow out the exhuast
    in some states its not required. check your laws
    my exhaust is a mbrp with a cat delet pipe so if i need to reinstal it its simple a matter of rehanging it

you do have an exhaust temp gauge right

7. 9bstock

9bstock Member

Wow, That is kinda brainless on my part. Should have figured that one out. No, I do not have an egt... yet. I do not set the banks above the #2 setting. I got it just for the milage improvement, the truck already has more power than I will ever need. I plan on installing an egt before the end of september. I won't be towing again until november. It generally sits unless we are going racing or on a long trip.

8. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

you might want to look into an after market cooling fan from flexalite or summit racing might even have something ask diesel nut wich would be best but you could lower your horse power loss and puck up even better mileage while keeping the temp down and look into AMSOIL for your oil,transmission fluid and diff fluid.Using the motor oil alone I droped a few degrees just daily driving and picked up about 2.5 miles per gallon and I dont have to change the oil that much anymore.

9. powerboatr

Media:
    Albums:
    actuallyt the 6.0 fan is a less than .4 hp loss in the disengaged mode,
    but once it kicks on its about 27 hp drain, ggod thing is only stays on long enough to cool down with a tornadoe like wind then cuts off complety
    its not like a viscous fan, with a clock spring, its a electrically activated clutch ON or OFF no inbewteen. much like an air clutch on a big rig, on or off
    it is a great set up and will move some air even at idle when it engages, you can see the hood bellow out from the air pressure changes :stir: :D

10. muddog06

muddog06 Member

Mileage Problems ?

all of you guys are making better mileage than me! Bone stock o6 w/ 373 gears, and auto, except for Power Elbow, Airaid cold air, and muffler removed. 14.0 -14.5 mpg to & from work 60 mph empty, highway 16.0 empty. I've got 26,500 miles. I borrowed a Bullydog Power Pup and got 15 mpg to work and 17.0 on highway. No where close to 17 & 19 mpg, but plenty power. It's my daily driver and trying squeeze MPG to be able to put more toys onboard:confused:

11. rocknbronco

What kind of oil are you using and how offten do you use a fuel system cleaner as well as replace the fuel filter. Right now my 5.4 gasser is getting better mileage than 6.0 oil burner I would try to keep light on the throttle and keep your filters clean as possible and keep full synthetic fluids in your entire driveline.

12. muddog06

muddog06 Member

Still using the old trusty rotella-t oil, and change fuel filters @ oil change intervlas (6,000 mi.).What syntetic oil are you running and interval change? my trottle response is light, except occasionllay when the urge to see a little black smoke sneaks in and catches me! i love the truck, just puzzled with mileage.Thanks for info

13. rocknbronco

I am using Amsoil 5W20 and can go 25K or 12 months before a change.

14. 9bstock

9bstock Member

Hey guys,
    Read the part in this thread about my fan. When they reflashed my truck's computer it stopped engaging as much, this made a huge difference in my milage. I spoke to a guy this past summer that is a test engineer for navistar(they build the powerstoke for Ford), he said that when the fan is locked up hard, it takes 70 horsepower to spin it. The fan will engage at different levels of lock up. The other thing to think about is what gear ratio is in your truck? Mine has 3.73 gears. It also seems to make a big difference to my truck if I keep the RPM's under 2,000. That is around 70 miles an hour.

Tom :)