6.2 diesel questions

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by Ken, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ken

Ken New Member

Media:
    I have a mint 83 C-30 dually, And I do mean mint, you can eat off the floors and rockers. I love this truck and I am willing to spend the money on her.Anyway, She was mint till I spun a bearing in the 454. I have an opporotunity to swap in a 6.2 diesel from a military CUCV truck. My question is is it worth it? I can deffinately get more power and torque from the gas drinkin BB, AND I was planning on stroking the 454 and puttin a nice HD towing cam in it. But I think the diesel might be a more efficient motor fuel wise. I also don't know crap about diesels or how hard or easy this swap would be.
    I am looking for engine mods for the 6.2 ie. cam, pistons etc. I already priced the Banks sidewinder kit for it and I would deffinately bolt that on, but I'm still lookin for better performance numbers. Even with the Banks kit on it it's only 200HP. Is this engine capable of more than 500 ft/lbs and more than 300 hp? I figure it's gunna cost me 3-4k to build my 496 stroker. Think I can build a 6.2 for less? the turbo is $1200+ right off the bat and I can get the 6.2 for 100$ w/60k miles on it. Should I go for it or find a 6.5 duramax?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  2. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    First thing, the 6.5 was just an updated version of the 6.2, it is not even remotely related to the 6.6 duramax. Second thing, banks numbers are notoriously overinflated, IIRC they say thier sidewinder kit makes 200hp at the rear wheels, when they dont even make 200 at the crank.

What you really have to look at is what you plan on doing with the truck. If its a daily driver with occasional towing, a mild 6.2 would be more than adequate and get alot better fuel economy than a carb'd bigblock. To get the motor up arround 300hp will take alot of work. custom lower compression pistons are needed, a 4911 spec'd injection pump, 6.5td injectors, a bigger turbo than what banks gives you, and a way to cool that boost off(ie. Intercooler). Will it be reliable? Sure, but im not sure how long the bottom end will hold together. If you were really shooting for that kind of power you would most likely want a 599 block, and if you are working with one of those you might as well bore it out to 6.5 specs and use lower compression 6.5 pistons right off the bat. You could just run the sidewinder setup, the 4911 pump with 6.5td injectors, j-code manifold ported and polished, and a good 3.5-4" exhast with stock compression, and you should be up arround 225hp at the crank reliably, but egt's will climb fast when towing. There are some good threads on higher power 6.2's over on CK5 in the diesel section you may want to look at as well.

3. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

For all the money it would cost to boost the power of the 6.2/6.5 would'nt it be cheaper to swap in a Cummins. I'm not trying to steer anyone away form the GM or start a brand war here but dollar for dollar I personaly think the Cummins would be the way to go. A Duramax would be cool to but talk about the $$$$$$$$$$ cost!

4. Ken

Ken New Member

Media:
    What perticular cummins would I be lookin for? What kind of numbers can I get out of it? How big a deal would it be to swap that into my c30?

5. DWitcher

94-98.4 12valve due to ease of the of the installation now that there is a company by the name of Autoworld that sales very nice engine mounts for the GM frame and also this engine requires very little electrical to make it run. Check out CK5 website they have alot of writeups on this subject. There is also a very good Cummins conversion page on Turbo Diesel Registry. Power mods are very easy to acheive with little money.

6. Ken

Ken New Member

Media:
    Will it bolt to my th400 tranny? Maybe via adpater?

7. DWitcher

Yes you can adapt the TH400 to the Cummins but it's not a good idea if you plan on adding any performance parts to the engine. You really need a transmission with an overdrive and if you use an automatic then a lockup converter would be best. I would suggest the NV4500 5spd or if you have the money, a NV5600 6spd for a manual transmission and if you prefer an auto then a 94-95 Dodge 47RH which has a large performance aftermarket following would work the best in my opinion. There is a company that has released instructions to make the overdrive and the torque converter fully automatic so no computers are involved with just a few wires and solenoids. Either way you go is pretty straight foward with no major engineering:D .

8. CoastalDav

CoastalDav Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, a cummins would be great, but having driven both for many years, here are my thoughts.

The 6.2 followed the 5.7 which was a flop, big time. I owned two of them. Head Gaskets every 40,000 miles wether you wanted to or not.

My 6.2 was in a 3/4 ton Suburban. It had a 4:10 rear and a Turbo 400 tranny. (No Overdrive) It got 16 mpg on the hwy and would tow 10,000lbs with no problem. 65 was about as hard as you wanted to go with the rear.

Once I gave it to my son, he put an overdrive tranny in. He got 18-19 mpg on the hwy. He later took the fan and clutch out and installed electric fans. Mileage jumped to 20-21. In order to let that tranny live he left the 4:10 rear in. The truck was sold again and its still on the road.
    Last I heard it just turned 325K.

The 6.2 is a hard engine to kill. It has 5 head bolts around each of the cylinders. The worse thing is the Glow Plug system and controller. Best thing to to with that is to by pass the controller and wire the glow plugs
    to a spring loaded toggle switch in the cab. When used, it should not be allowed to be on longer than 6-8 seconds.

We have an 84 1/2 ton truck at the shop with a 6.2, O/D tranny and 3:48 gears, I think, and it gets 24-26 on the hwy. We have rebuilt the engine
    since it had 240,000 on it when we got it, for nothing. That was 5 years ago.

So the Cummins would be great, but the 6.2 with its low hp (165hp) an't to shabby either. The cummins will have more torque.

There are two differant engines, one for vehicles over 8500 lbs GVW and one for less than 8500 GVW. The less than engine has an EGR valve a top the intake and stays nasty all the time. If you can find the other engine, it has a open intake not subject to EPA stuff.

The two engines are 6.2 (C) LH6 and 6.2 (J) LL4. Can't remember which is for what.

Dave

9. earl87gta

earl87gta Member

J code is the non egr it is the engine he would be getting from the CUCV. If you do deside to use the 6.2 i am putting one in my 68 burb as we speak then you would want to add a few things lower compresion pistons go to 18 stock is 21. this will let you run more boost. also gerdle the mains so they dont break as easy or use splayed caps. last use a timing gear set. I didnt change the pistons I figured I would wait until I build a 6.5 for that. so all Im doing is a stock rebuild with a gurdle on the bottom end and timing gears. for a turbo buy a used one from a 6.5 you can get every thing for around 500 easly and that will give you some money to help with other parts you will need. But if it was me and I knew I was going to tow alot with it I would by a used doge with the cummins for 3k to 4k and ut its hole drive train in power wize you will be a lot happier. I use my d-max to tow with so my burb is just a toy and im adding the 6.2 to help the milage out a little.

10. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Ken, Dwitcher hit the nail on the head. Once i get my shop built, I plan on a CTD 12v in a similar chevy truck as yours. Do some googleing and you will find several shops that now do the conversion and sell the parts needed. I was reading this past summer of someone building a proven torque converter for th400 that would hold the power of a 12V, turned up. If you don't mind shifting, the manual trans will hold more power for the $$. I have a 92 with a 6.5, even with all the mods, its will barely keep up with a stock 12v. Good luck and let us know what happens.

WOODS

11. Missy good wench

Missy good wench Member

The 6.2 can run strong and economical too.
    I am currently building a 1994 599 6.2 engine for my 91 Burb.
    Its getting a Banks setup with the stock Banks turbo for now.
    The addition of a 6.9/7.3 turbo later will really wake it up.
    This setup will give you power on a par with what you had in the Old 54 motor.
    You will need to be sure to use a diesel radiator and install a pyro and boost gage.

Never underestimate the little 6.2
    With a good 3-1/2" exhaust and some fuel they will run hard.

The old stock J 6.2's would do the job they were just a little slower is all.

I have turned the pumps up a tad on a J and had great results even in N/A mode.

The 6.5's in the 92-93 vintage are ok but to use the stock turbo runs into clearance issues with the AC box.
    That is whay I chose the banks setup..

Good luck with your project

MGW