6.2 Heavy Duty Injector Pump Questions???

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by JLanzino, Sep 28, 2009.

1. JLanzino

JLanzino New Member

Hi Guys I have a light duty injector pump in a 1/2 ton 6.2L Diesel i have a 6.2L heavy duty pump & i was wondering if i can put the heavy duty pump in my 1/2 ton diesel? Thanks

JL [​IMG]

2. Missy good wench

Missy good wench Member

Yes the HD or "J" code pump will work fine.

If you can, lose the EGR and install a single plane HD intake manifold.

You can gain about 30 HP if this is done right.

The 1/2 ton 6.2 was rated at 130 HP and the HD was rated at 160.

Dont get tempted to crank the HP screw up though. You will get tons of BLCK smoke and high EGT's (Exhaust temps)

One of the best additions to a 6.2 is the Banks Turbo setup.

On a 6.2 thats in good shape, you can crank out about 205 HP and 400lbs of torque.

The 205 may not seem like a lot but that 400 pounds of torque will feel great, ERRRRRRRRR, until the 10 bolt rearend goes away :eek:

All kidding aside, Have fun with the little diesel. waytogo

MGW

3. jdemaris

jdemaris New Member

It swaps in fine, other then some electric controls on it that might differ. It will make it easier to crack your cylinder heads if you're not carerful, that's all. More fuel injected, with lugging, can often equal overheated exhaust ports and cracked heads. Especially if you've got big valves. HD and commerical 6.2s have small valves to help prevent head cracking.

C-code pump often has controls to run emmissions stuff and the lockup torque converter, depending on year. J-code pumps often lack those controls, and somethings have a VRV attached to run the TH400 trans if equipped. Different controls are on the pumps depending if C-code, J-code, TH400 trans, 700R4/4L60 trans, 4L80E trans, etc.