6.2 NV4500? Not a beast but reliable ontop of reliable

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by racecitymike, Oct 12, 2006.

1. racecitymike

racecitymike Member

Has anyone on this site ever put an NV4500 behind a 6.2? Of course we all know they came behind the 6.5's but I'm interested in a swap behind my 6.2. I know what everyone is thinking but look I have an '85 model 6.2 with less then 30K original on it and an NV4500 that came off of a bad 6.5, my 700R4 is starting to slip and will need a rebuild soon so....thats my thoughts. If it comes down to opinions then I know some will say keep the 700R4 and others will say NV4500 but I really like the idea of the NV4500. I know that the 6.2 isn't a power house but the fuel economy is great it tows fine the few times a year I do tow with it and my last one had over 330K on the original block and heads before I sold it and from what I understand it's still going strong! My main question isn't so much is it possible or how to do it but more of who has done it and do they like it? With the short power band of the 6.2 was the wide range in the gears ok to deal with? I know I will need to consider my axle ratios tire size etc. I am not worried about all of that I can handle that easily and do the calculations to provide the optimal highway rpm's I just want opinions and thoughts on the swap and if someone has done it I want to hear their "results" Thanks.

2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* Member

A friend of mine has the nv4500 behind a 6.2 in an 86 Chevy crewcab dually 4x4. He has 4.10 gears, and really likes it. Tows well and gets decent fuel mileage.
    Jimbo

3. racecitymike

racecitymike Member

Thanks for the reply Jimbo, thats what I was thinking but I just wanted a few opinions. Of course the 465 came behind the 6.2 and everyone loved it, especially the grany gear for when you really need some grunt, but of course the biggest problem was that it didn't have an overdrive. So, this would take care of that. My biggest concern is of course the fact that the powerband is so small in the 6.2 that the wide ration of the NV4500 would cause you to hunt for gears especially up hill, but I guess with the right gearing and tire size it will be fine. If anyone else has any input I would LOVE to hear it. I think when people hear NV4500 they automatically think AWESOME because it is a great tranny but there are so many other factors, if it's not matched to an engine that the gearing fits than you can forget it.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 Active Member

The NV4500 is a great tranny. The ratios are pretty much in line with the 465, with the added OD. I had a 5.61 1st 4500 in my 95, great tranny. I hope to find one used to put in my '80.

5. earl87gta

earl87gta Member

I would use the nv4500 I was going to put one in mine but cant find one so now Im changing out my 4:56 gears to 4:10 to help with the milage and if Im luck Ill be able to get to 65 miles an hour.

6. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Go for it! Whicle the trans is out, you may want to upgrade the nut that holds the od gear in place. It's allot easier to do with it out of the truck. I did mine while changing the clutch (92' 6.5td), was close to losing od....

http://quad4x4.com/

WOODS