6.7L frontend track bar failure

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 6.7 (24v)' started by 2007CUMMINZ, Oct 23, 2007.

1. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

You are not going to believe this. Last week while towing, my truck started giving me a steering problem. After getting home I cranked the engine and let the wife turn the steering wheel left and right while I watched the front suspension. The connection of the frame and the front end track bar was very loose. Took it to dealer, they put it on the lift and could not find anything wrong so they parked it in the lot. When I got there they said nothing wrong. Took service manager out to the truck and pointed out the connection. He watched it while I turned the wheel. He saw the problem. THIS IS where it gets good. They removed a track bar from an 08. Removed my track bar and as soon as they handed me the 2 bolts out of my track bar I noticed they were 2 different sizes. One 3/4" & one 5/8". The bushing hole in the track bar is 3/4". The hole in the track bar frame mount was 5/8". The factory installer could not get 3/4" bolt in so he installed a 5/8" bolt. That is where the slop was coming from. It took 7500 miles for it to get loose. My dealer drilled out the 5/8" mount to 3/4" and installed the new track bar and both 3/4" bolts.

2. gone camping

gone camping Well-Known Member

Media:
    Thats Great Info. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.waytogo