6 hours to change 7 tires

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by XTrmXJ, Apr 12, 2007.

1. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

Ok so this report is going to go both ways so listen up..
    I needed new tires for the dually before I even attepted to get an inspection, so Ive been doing price checks and looking at options for a while now.. After looking at every thing I narrow it down to Walmart on Victory, point being 1. Walmarts are every where and 2. I can get a life time warrenty, rotations, roadside, balancing any time for free, blah blah blah.. So on Tues I went to the WalMart and looked at tires, (1 type E rated), pricing and such and mentioned that I need 7 for my Vehical, the Lady about **** her self when I had to repeat myself " I need 7 Tires".. Then I further asked, do you have anyone that works here that is Qualified to deal with E rated tires and Duallys, She said that there is 1 person Qual.. Cool I set up an appointment for Wed at 1200hrs to have it done..
    So I get there today (Wed) at a quarter till noon to check in, the lady mentioned that there is still 1 car in front of me and the truck wouldnt be able to get on the lift till 1230, OK I said, theres 2 lifts no big deal, she did mention that I can only use the one lift and the car thats ahead of me has already been on there..
    After noting that no body is even around that vehical working I start to wonder and at this point Im just thinkig that maybe they are waiting on a part for some reason..
    Now Im a very patient person, theres always a reason for actions, so I keep to myself.. So finally my truck gets on the lift at 1500 (3pm)................
    Before they even rolled it in I asked them, "I dont want to insult your intellagence but Do you know how to remove and do Dually tire and even know how to remove the simulators off?" He answers " Ya just take the those lugs off".... "WRONG ANSWER NANCY"!!!!!!! SO I explain how it is done and point every thing out to him, and how I want to tires mounted a specific way on the wheels..
    THANK ****ING GOD I STOOD THERE THE WHOLE ****ING TIME.....
    I had to physically take the rear simulators off myself because he couldnt do it right and he couldnt get the socket on the outer lugs to remove the simulators.. Granted they had to hunt down the biggest sockets they could find, and I dont expect that type of a SERVICE STATION to have one that large but they eventually found one.. Anyways, I had to also reiderate how I wanted each tire, white letters in, now on a Dually its not as easy as you might think to pull this off, otherwise the next time you rotate all the tires you will look like you lick the glass and have helmet hair..
    Now keep in mind that there are 2 of the most experiance people working on my Truck, not specified for my style of truck but for tires and such, the shop manager and the assit ... Now I will give them the reason of the dought that they dont see duallies in there at all, but they do do diesels on occasion not many, but every one in a full moon.. I had already estamated 2 hours since I was told that the max time that is ever spent on a 4 tire vehical is 1 hour MAX..
    3.5 hours later it rolls off the lift........ right as they pull it out I notice, the simulators are all on wrong, WTF So I walk over and I tell the Assistant manager (mid 40s Navy Gent) that the sims are on wrong and they need to be rotated... (Later on I was told, he felt that I was being Cockey and I had a bad attitude) anyways, he gives a "humf" and he now has to pull them back off and put them on properly, can be done with the vehical on the ground, 2 lugs per side.. After he fixes that I point out that there are valve caps missing, WTF.. Finnally its done and I give the ok, also asking what the torque specs were, he said he would have to go and see on the puter (he didnt like that), and yes I saw them double check all of them and double torqued with 2 people...
    Now once my truck got on the lift 2 guys started it, half way through they passed it off to one other unexperanced guys, and then the older guy comes over to help, later one of the original guys comes back after a hour (Meeting)..

LET ME TALK TO SOME ONE NOW!!!!!!!
    Talked to the Shop manager that was the original guy on the job.. I was very calm and asked to go into a private room so it wasnt in the open ear of customers..
    He eplained why he left and some of the delay, he couldnt explain the rest of the delays, but he is willing to make a full record of reports from everyone that was involved and give it to me and then he will push consiquences, he even gave me a dead line as when I will get the report and actions taken..
    I will admit he did work very well and was willing to learn when he was working on my truck and explained himself.. He offerd to go and get the Reginal manager so I could speak with him and I declined that, I dont want this to blow out of porportion and felt he was capable of taking care of the problem to keep it "in shop"..

FOR ALL YOU ADDDDDD, ****ERS

So all and all 6.5 hours total to change 7 tires , 3 hours wait, with 3.5 hours on the lift, inexperiance....
    Cost = $986.83 prior to consult
    + being up for well over 24hours, so now Im very grumpy
    SO I ended up walking out of the Walmart paying only $700 for 7 UniRoyal E rated All Terrains, I will never have to touch my tires for the life of them, even if I get a flat and Im on the side of the road, they will pay for a AAA thingy anywhere anytime, free rotations and replacements, BLAH BLAH BLAH and will even pay for the alignments when needed by tire wear, all in a contract warrenty thing BS and stuff, with the store #, employee# and all the verifications... BTW the tires already have a 60,000 mile warrenty from uniroyle for there mumbo jumbo..
    I made out good, and got treated right after the matter of the fact.. :thumb:
    Also in a 32+ hour time frame I got 3 hours of sleep and Im back at work again... :coffee:

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    That sucks you have to hold their hand, but sometimes the only way to get it done right, glad it worked out in the end.

3. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

my buddy once had tires put on at wal-mart, two miles down the road the wheel came off. he had a lawsuit against them, he got $2000 cuz his vehicle was a POS...

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    lol... what did you expect from wally world...?
    glad you ended up with some tires though...