6637 filter

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by germanbrave, Aug 19, 2006.

1. germanbrave

germanbrave Member

I just recently purchased the NAPA 6637 filter and I am about to install it I have heard that you should use a 4 inch piece of 4inch pipe to connect the hose to the filter I had a guy at work suggest using pvc pipe instead has anyone tried this?
    Also he said rather than just tieing up the air sensor out of the way he said to drill a hole in the pvc and mount it there.
    Has anyone tried this method?

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I haven't tried it yet but I'm planning to do the same thing. Drilling and taping the tube for the air sensor is also something I was planning. Do a google search on Tymar performance. You'll find some good pictures and information.

3. germanbrave

germanbrave Member

I installed my 6637 but took a different approach I purchased a 3 inch rubber coupler for pvc pipe it came with 2 hose clamps and only cost me $6.00 it fits perfect inside both the filter and the hose the outside diameter of the coupler is 4 inches. I havent mounted the sensor in the hose and it doesnt seem to make any difference I just cable tied it out of the way.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Have you noticed any difference in milage or performance?

5. germanbrave

germanbrave Member

Performance is alot better,I havent noticed much with the fuel milage it would probley be better if I would quit hot rodding it.
    The next thing I am going to do is change the muffler,I thought about straight piping it but I live in Michigan and when it gets cold my Harley wouldnt run good with straight pipes so I suspect my truck wouldnt either so I am going to put a flowmaster 50 on it.

6. jbawilliams

jbawilliams Active Member

I thought about the PVC coupler, but it is only 3" inside. I wanted better airflow, so I used a peice of 4" exhaust tubing 3" long - a scrap from the local exhaust shop - cost me $1.

Attached Files:

7. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I dont think the climate would work against your SD