94-97 Powerstroke Which year is best?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by eclipse85k10, Jun 21, 2006.

1. eclipse85k10

eclipse85k10 New Member

I had a friend who had a 94 powerstroke crewcab and he had alot of problems. I heard 96-97 are the better years for the powerstroke, is this true? I've been throwing around the idea in my head of selling my tow older gas chevys and buying a F250 extracab power stroke. I'm tired of trying to keep my old chevy running to drive it everyday, and its not any good for towing. Any advice in looking for a Powerstroke truck?

2. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

99-02 are the best years, but go for much more $ than the older ones.
    benefits are
    quiter running(different injectors) electric and more simple fuel lift pump.
    larger injectors, more power
    larger turbo and factory intercooler.
    96-97 have better internalans and slight differences than the 94095's. one being a different block for handling more stress, more nise dampening.
    biggest change is the engine front cover and the way the HPOP resivoir is fed, and its ability to leak down when it gets older.
    97's are rated at 10 more HP also.

3. eclipse85k10

eclipse85k10 New Member

thanks for the info. So if I was looking to buy a 94-97 powerstroke, aim for a 96-97? I like the 92-97 body style and they aren't as expensive as the 98-up body style.

4. Blue Ridge Runner

Blue Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

The 2000 and older models also have forged connecting rods.

5. Ggg

Ggg Active Member

If I had a choice of all the years of PSD I would go for a 97. You mentioned F250, if you want 4x4 go with a F350, it has a much better front axle. The auto trans in the 97 had the most updates of all the 94-97 years. You also mentioned going with a super cab, the turning radius is horrible on them, so you might as well just get the crew cab since you really are not loosing any more turning radius and you will have a lot more interior room.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  6. bigbaddiesel

bigbaddiesel Well-Known Member

Media:
    i love my 1999

7. u2slow

u2slow Member

One thing I like better on the 94.5-95 is the ratios on the ZF.

8. wheelin66bronco

wheelin66bronco Well-Known Member

I love my 96, only thing I'm gonna change is to a 12V cummins in it when the stroke goes belly up.
    Get a F-350 not 250, harder to find but well worth it.

9. Blue Ridge Runner

Blue Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

96-97 are also better because they have less problems with the drive (fan) belts and belt tensioner. The 1994-1995 had some issues in that department. 1994 was the first year for the PSD. I would never buy a first year model.

10. badboydiesel350

badboydiesel350 Active Member

the F350 actually has a front axle many people call it the mono beam, none of that IFS bull****. If you are looking for an older diesel buy a 1995 or 1996. The powerstroke wasn't put into production until 1994 1/2 and the 1997 trucks are what ford likes to refer as the frankenstien year. The trucks were built with parts from the year 1996 and 1998, that is when ford was going to change the body style. Finding parts is a bitch, there are so many versions used in 1997.

11. LilFordGirl

LilFordGirl Active Member

I would have to say '97 would be best

12. bullybreed

bullybreed Member

I owned a 95 xcab w/ an auto. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten a 97 f350 with a standard. The auto is JUNK. Rebuild it first thing before it goes south on you. Get the straight front axle with an f350 also. I learned alot with that 95. I am now much happier with my '04 1/2 qcab 6 speed cummins though.

13. SNOWMAN

SNOWMAN Member

97 F250 7.3 std trans absolutly bulletproof. The best truck I have ever owned. Still kicking myself for letting her go. Not that I am unhappy w/ my 00 F350 auto, but those are some BIG shoes to fill.

14. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

I owned a 97 f-250HD and absolutely loved it! that truck was the best truck i have ever owned! much better than my 05 cummins now! i put that thing thru hell and it just kept going! i was never able to hurt it! 96 and 97 were the best years in that range! and definately try and do the 350 for that straight axle!

15. bullybreed

bullybreed Member

When I went shopping for my new truck, I tried to find a 7.3 liter but there were none left. I then went right to the Cummins engine. I liked that old 7.3 PSD. I hated the auto tranny, and that IFS needed help.

16. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

i have an ext cab long bed, how do you think i feel about my turning radius...

17. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

you know, maybe its been too long but i dont remember mine having a very bad turning radius.....o well!

18. BEECHBM69

BEECHBM69 Member

Where exactly did you get this information? Do you own one? I have a 97 built in 11/97 and have never had any problems with parts. The ONLY problem I have ever heard about is the genius parts counter guys confusing the HEAVY DUTY OBS trucks with the bastardized new body style F250 that they made in 97.

Back to the OP's question. As mentioned, the 97's were the ones with most of the bugs worked out. We still have the same common failures (CPS, fuel pump, etc.) but with less frequency. With all the info out on this stuff now, I wouldn't be afraid to buy any OBS PSD.

Just MHO of course.

Dan

19. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

i know mine sucks, when i had a bumper trailer hooked up it was horrible turning sharp corners

20. u2slow

u2slow Member

Whats this? The Supercab guys whining about turning radius? :rolleyes::stir: