99 Motor and Trans help

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by idontcare909, Feb 9, 2009.

1. idontcare909

idontcare909 Active Member

Media:
    So i just picked up a 99 motor and trans out of a wrecked truck. i have the engine harnesses and all. what i was wondering is can i make it run on the stand with just hooking it up to fuel to see how she runs without hurting anything? its a vp44 so does it need the trucks computer and all of that to run? there is the computer on the side of the motor. any help or thoughts would be good. i dont want to run it long, just enough to see how she sounds and all that.

thanks for any input or help..

2. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would think that it would run fine outside the engine compartment... since, yes, the computer is on the driver side of the block.

Watch out for those 53 blocks:doah:

3. idontcare909

idontcare909 Active Member

Media:
    but what would i need to do to get it to run. i have the wiring harness, im thinkin just make the lift pump hot and jump the starter..... but since its a vp 44 im thinkin there is gonna be more to it. i took the valve cover off yesterday, looks almost new in there so that was nice.

4. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    You need to get 12V to the computer and you need to ground the block to the battery. I am pretty sure it should run. I hope you have a strong stand. My stand Use for building engines is perfect for building a complete engine, but having that same complete engine bouncing around on that stand trying to start and bleed out would be scary. Pull the head. Look inside. If it looks good, then the only things that could go wrong are the VP or the ECM. Flip it over and pull the pan. If all looks good then smile and enjoy your new find!