Advice from those who have traveled this road...

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Skahtered, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Skahtered

Skahtered New Member

Hello all! I suspect that this question has been asked many times in many ways. If you can point me to other threads with relevant info on this topic please do. My situation/question: I recently bought a travel trailer that is at the outer range of what my 2001 Suburban 1500 can handle (610# tongue wt, 5,710# tare). I bought the trailer knowing that I would need more tow rig, so now I'm trying to decide what tow rig to get. I'm looking at something in the $25K neighborhood. I want a crew cab and 4x4. 3/4 ton min, 1 ton preferred, but I realize I'm limited by my budget. I've read several threads and understand that the Cummins guys have their loyalty, and so do the Duramax and PowerStroke lovers. What I'm seeing in that price range in my area are diesels with at least 150K miles, and most closer to $200K or more. I'm only going to be towing around 1,500 to 2,000 miles per year for the next few years.

Here are some specific questions:

1. If a CTD has been well maintained, how many miles could I expect to get out of it? 250K? 300K? 600K?

2. I've read many of the horror stories about the 6.0 PowerStroke. Is it safe to assume that a 6.0 that has lasted 100K has either had some of the common problems (head studs, head gaskets, etc.) resolved? Or are they going to be a problem later on?

3. I know the diesel vs. gas engine topic is nearly religious to many people on this forum, but is it worth considering a gas engine to get me by for a few years until I can afford a newer diesel?

Thanks in advance!
    Skahtered