Air Induction/Filter for '91?

Discussion in 'Dodge 1st Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by Binky, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Binky

Binky Member

Hello,
    I have an oldie but a goodie, a first generation '91 D250, non-intercooled. I've been looking for a better air induction and filter system to match the larger diameter turbo back pipe and muffler I installed, but I can't seem to find any specific to the '91. Has anyone else already purchased and or modified a system for another year to fit the '91? There's lot's of room, and any number of systems I've seen look like they could fit, but if someone else has already taken the plunge and can save me some problem solving and guesswork I sure would appreciate it.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I wonder if a BHAF would work? (big honkin' air filter). It's a Napa part # 6632 and is just a long round filter with an opening that is the same diameter as the intake pipe.

I wonder if it would work on a 1st gen....

3. rlyons

rlyons Active Member

The best system I have found is the ASA Modifieds system. You can purchase it from Max, the manufacturer, at www.asamodifieds.com or you can purchase it from www.piersdiesel.com It has a super airflow and a turbo whistle to rival a big rig. Worked out great for me.

4. KenworthW900L

KenworthW900L New Member

I put an ASA system on my 91'. OHHHHHHHHH is it awesome!!! The Turbo whine is sweet music.......

5. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

waytogo rlyons, what kinda hp ya getting on that truck. sounds like a gooden.

6. funcruise

funcruise Member

Media:
    On my 92 I just took out the airbox and clamped a BHAF on the end of the intake hose and used a bungie cord to hold it down. Workes good...

7. Leper

Leper New Member

You will get more usable power from the stock airbox. Any open element draws too much hot, under hood, air, to realize any real world gain. If you were to take the BHAF and completely enclose it from the under hood area, and open up your core support to force in colder air, you would see a slight increase.

On a dyno with an open hood, the open air ones make more power, but they make less with the hood shut, going down the road.

8. LOGANSTANFORTH

LOGANSTANFORTH Member

actually your wrong cause on the 1st gen trucks cold air is forced around the passenger side head light cause they are sealed beams, not like the newer plastic ones in the 2nd gen trucks, my 90 cummins runs another 10-15 mph faster on really cold, crisp clear, nights cause of this, it didnt before i modified mine.......im running everything stock except i took my factory airbox off and left the factory filter open along with my factory intake pipe.....

ill be getting ASA's for both of my trucks, I hadnt been on Piers' (used to be Piers now PDR) site for a long time.....