Amsoil ATF available for 5R110!

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by Diesel Nut, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Amsoil Just released this on the new availablilty of fluid that meets the Ford Mercron SP spec -

AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is recommended for the latest manufacturer
    specifications.
    Automatic transmission technology has been quickly evolving over the past few years.
    Six-speed transmissions are becoming more common, and automakers are demanding
    higher quality, longer lasting transmission fluids to protect these transmissions.
    General Motors, for example, recently introduced its DEXRON® VI specification.
    Established to provide extra protection for 2006 vehicles equipped with six-speed Hydra-
    Matic transmissions, DEXRON VI fluids are also recommended for transmissions built
    before the 2006 model year. DEXRON VI represents a significant upgrade over previous
    specifications. In order to minimize fluid degradation and ensure improved performance
    in extreme conditions, DEXRON VI fluids require greater oxidative and shear stability,
    foam performance and protection against pitting. According to GM, DEXRON VI
    fluids provide more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests than fluids
    meeting previous specifications.
    Ford Motor Company, on the other hand, recently announced the retirement of its MERCON
    ® automatic transmission fluid specification, opting to promote its more stringent
    MERCON® V specification that requires improved anti-oxidation, antiwear and antishudder
    properties. Ford also introduced its MERCON® SP specification in 2004.
    Designed for high torque six-speed transmissions, MERCON SP fluids have lower viscosity
    requirements and more stringent cold-temperature Brookfield viscosity requirements.
    AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) exceeds the performance
    requirements for domestic and foreign automatic transmission fluid applications, and is
    now recommended for cars and trucks calling for DEXRON VI, MERCON V & SP,
    NAG 1 & 2 and Nissan Matic J & K transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF provides automatic
    transmissions, power steering units and hydraulic equipment with excellent
    lubricating protection and better performance over a wider temperature range than conventional
    automatic transmission fluids.
    • Resists thermal and oxidative degradation
    • Ensures cool transmission operation
    • Provides outstanding low temperature protection
    • Improves fuel economy
    • Provides smooth shifting
    • Maximizes transmission performance and service life
    • Reduces maintenance costs
    • Offers extended drain intervals
    AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic
    Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 60,000 miles in severe service
    and up to 100,000 miles in normal service, or according to the vehicle manufacturer
    recommended intervals, whichever is longer. Drain intervals may be extended
    further with oil analysis.
    AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other
    applications requiring any of the following specifications:

• GM DEXRON II, III & VI
    • Ford MERCON, MERCON V & SP
    • Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
    • Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
    • Toyota Type T and T-IV
    • Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
    • Allison C-3, C-4, Caterpillar TO-2
    • Voith G607, G1363
    • ZF TE-ML 14A, B & C
    • MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
    • BMW 7045E, JWS 3309, NAG 1 & 2
    • LT 71141 (ESSO), Nissan Matic D, J & K
    • Vickers I-286S & M-2950S
    Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.
    Not for use in CVT transmissions.

Anyone needing Amsoil or filters for your Ford, PM me for Forum only special pricing!

2. Patrick@DPP

Patrick@DPP Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Diesel Nut, that is very interesting. I run the full synthetics in the motor...got to love the 20k mile oil changes...does Ford say this trans fluid is good to go? I see what you said above, but if you come in with a burnt trans, and there happens to be Amzoil in it will they warrant the rebuild on the 5R110? Most likely your everyday tech wouldn't notice, but just say it was discovered.

Thank you,

Patrick

3. Diesel Nut

Media:
    I have it on my hard drive somewhere, but there is a law stating that if the company requires that you use their brand of servicing parts (oil is a part) to maintain warranty then they are required to supply it to you free of charge. This is why all BMW cars come with free servicing for the first, what, 50k miles I think. They want their own brand in it. Fed Law requires them supply it free of charge.

As for a burnt transmission, first, they are going to have to prove that the fluid was the reason it failed. That will be tough to do. IF they can prove without a doubt the fluid was the cause of the failure, Amsoil's warranty will cover it. Here is that warranty.

Here is a question/answer thing Amsoil distributes to its dealers when there have been a buch of people asking about something. Hope this helps.

AMSOIL Automotive Applications - ATF

Q. How can AMSOIL Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) with a viscosity of 6.8 cSt be recommended for DEXRON VI and MERCON SP with respective maximum viscosities of 6.5 and 6.0 and also be recommended for ATF+4 with a minimum viscosity of 7.3?

A. AMSOIL positioned the viscosity of the AMSOIL Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid in the middle of most of the specifications from many manufacturers. These specifications include:

* GM DEXRON II, III & VI
    * Ford MERCON, MERCON V & MERCON SP
    * Chrysler ATF+ thru ATF+4
    * Honda Z-1 (not CVT)
    * Toyota Type T & TIV
    * Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
    * Allison C-3, C-4
    * Caterpillar TO-2
    * Voith G 607 & G1363
    * ZF TE-ML 14A, B & C
    * MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
    * BMW 7045E
    * JWS 3309
    * LT 71141 (ESSO)
    * NAG 1 & 2
    * Nissan Matic D, J & K
    * Vickers I 286S & M2950S

For years original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) were primarily concerned with efficiencies at cold temperatures. Cold temperature performance of fluidity is measured by the Brookfield viscosity in Centipoises (cP) at -40°C (See chart 1). Chart 1 provides the maximum viscosity allowed at -40°C. This insures proper flow of lubrication to internal components at cold temperature for good lubrication.

(Chart 1)

ATF Brookfield Viscosity (cP) Comparisons

MERCON <20,000

MERCON V <13,000

Mercon SP <9,500

DEXRON III <20,000

DEXRON VI <15,000

Chrysler ATF+4 <10,000

AMSOIL ATF 9,326

As of recent, OEMs have begun to regulate the maximum viscosity of the oil. It is generally accepted that thinner oils improve operating efficiency. By limiting the upper viscosity, such as with DEXRON VI and MERCON SP, OEMs are trying to capture the additional efficiency, no matter how small it may be. The two newest specifications, DEXRON VI and MERCON SP, have a starting viscosity maximum of 6.0 cSt and 6.5 cSt respectively. Although AMSOIL ATF at 6.8 cSt has a slightly higher viscosity than MERCON SP and DEXRON VI and a slightly lower viscosity than ATF+4 (7.3 cSt), it does not negatively affect performance in any of those applications. With respect to MERCON SP and DEXRON VI, AMSOIL ATF fulfills the cold temperature requirements so the marginally higher viscosity of 0.3 to 0.8 cSt will only provide better protection. With respect to DEXRON III, MERCON V and ATF+4, our experience has shown that conventional oils may shear down to below 5 cSt during use. Additionally, DEXRON VI is recommended as a replacement for DEXRON III so the lighter viscosity for AMSOIL ATF is immaterial.
    AMSOIL recommendations are based on sound technical principles. Because of its superior base oil technology, AMSOIL ATF fulfills the important cold temperature requirement and its inherently high viscosity index contributes to a higher base oil viscosity and ultimate shear stability. AMSOIL ATF is compatible with all the seal materials and its oxidation and frictional properties are extremely stable. AMSOIL ATF is perfectly positioned to work in all the listed applications.

4. Patrick@DPP

Patrick@DPP Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good information, thank you!

5. nastee1

nastee1 Member

Whats the sale on the bullydogs Diesel Nut? My dad is looking for one 05 Dodge 2500

6. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Nastee1 - PM on the way!

Patrick@DPP - No problem. Feel free to keep the questions coming if you have them. It makes for a great way to get the information out so all can learn.

7. Patrick@DPP

Patrick@DPP Member

Media:
    Albums:
    DieselNut, I took my truck in last week for state inspection sticker. When I picked it up they told me since the oil change sticker said it was changed 5k miles ago they gave me a free oil change. What a bunch of nice guys. They thought they were HOOKING me up since I always bring them parts. When I told him he owed me for another oil change because I still had 15k miles to go, he almost fell over. What a bunch of nice guys. lol

8. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Sweet!waytogo

i would have loved to see the looks on their faces!rotfl

9. SubYuman

SubYuman Member

Price versus SP

Since it's $4+ a quart for SP, how dos the price compare with AMsoil?

10. Diesel Nut

Media:
    PM on the way.waytogo