Any other BFG AT fans out there??

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by Brisk, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I love these tires. I have ran them on 3 of my personal vehicles and driven many others. Just wondering if anyone else has had good luck with them too??

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I currently have the BFG AT KO's on my rig in the 315/70/17 size. I have run nothing but on my daily drivers for the last 12 or 13 sets. The set I have on my dually I am not all that impressed with the way there are wearing. Traction is great, as usuall, but they seem to be a little soft. I don't expect to get more than 20,000 miles out of them. Now I wish that I had waited and come up with the extra funds and bought the Toyo's. Oh well there is always next time.

LT.

3. mdnky

mdnky New Member

I use to think these tires were over-rated, but having owned a few sets now its one of the few I'd give a recommendation for. The only downside I've found with them is they're a bit noisy, but that's expected of an aggressive tire. Wear is amazing, as is traction in all conditions. Can't beat the price either on some sizes.

We see customers at the shop I work at exceed 80K miles on a set with tread to spare regularly. Quite a few manage to get in the 100K to 120K mile range, but those guys tend to mainly use their trucks for highway driving. A good section of those are HD model trucks (C/K2500HDs & F250s). I've also never personally seen a slipped belt on one of these tires, nor heard of any, which is a problem with Goodyear (a major issue and the most common) and other brands.

Keep them rotated regularly and the pressure correct and you shouldn't have any worries. In fact, make sure you test the pressure at each wheel to find your best setting (esp. if you upgrade sizes.) Use window chalk or a white liquid shoe polish to mark a line on a cold tire. Drive a 1/4 to 1/2 mile and check the wear. Loose some pressure if the middle is worn more, or add some if the edges are worn more. Error on the side of over-inflation rather than under-inflation.

4. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

I ran 265/70R17 ATs on my 2003 3500 SRW they ran great, very quiet too.

5. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I really like the BFG's; they have great traction and they look really cool too.

However, when I talked to a guy that sold Kore Suspension Systems, he said that Toyos are better for the full size trucks because they can handle more weight.

6. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I put 70K miles on a set. Not the greatest in mud, but a good AT tire. Watch the air and rotate and they will last.

7. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

my truck can't seem to keep any tires. I loved them on, off, and in the snow. Also did very well at 100% weight capacity. I'm trying a set of goodyears to see if they do any better. so far I'm at 75% of the miles and 50% of the miles so they are looking better. Haven't been off road, similiar on and at full weight, this weekend I get to play in the snow.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Eh, I never have liked them. I bought a Chevy K30 with them and replaced those things within a couple of days. They seemed noisy, handled poorly, have an ugly tread, and are priced a little high.

I feel that the Toyo Open Country is a better tire than the BFG in every way, and I prefer my Cooper's to the BFG also since they seem to have better traction, look nicer, and are quieter. I will say that my Cooper's wear a little fast.

9. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm running Hankooks now.

I think I'm going back to BFG's the next time around. waytogo