Anyone with a V10?

Discussion in 'Dodge Gas Engine Rigs' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Feb 20, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Does anyone have the Magnum V10? How do you like it? Any mods done to it? My neighbor has a '97 3/4 4x4 with the V10 and likes the engine a lot, but not the mileage.

I have driven and ridden in it and it had a fair amount of power but it sounds different than most engines that big. He has Mopar headers, 4" pipe, and one Flowmaster.

2. Tim

Tim Guest

They don't sound, "Different." They sound HORRIBLE.

IMO, there is a reason Dodge discontinued them.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Wait, I didn't get what you said....what kind of mileage do you get with your V10 again??? I missed that. You don't like your V10? What mods have you done to your V10 again? ;)

4. Tim

Tim Guest

Don't get pissy, Bobby, I'm just voicing my opinion.

I can't say I didn't think about it as an option, but Diesel just makes so much more sense, and so many agreed with that...that Dodge discontinued putting V10s in HD trucks.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    How'd yo gather pissy in that? Some people prefer a gas engine and I'd like to hear from them. It's important that through all the diesel discussions the gas powered guys have something to talk about too.

6. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got one... love it, but would rather have a cummins. When I got it I didn't know better, plus it was before the HO and I saw same torque with more horsepower for a lot less money, made up for the MPG. Now I want the 610 torque. I pull 15000lbs with it a couple times a year, it does great except for the steepest hills (10%+). I'm on the second engine due to mechanics mistake replacing a water pump.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the V10 a lot, I think it's a cool motor and has a unique sound. They have good power but I know the mileage sucks with them and I know I couldn't afford to drive one. One of the main thing that attracts me to them is their rareness. I like Limited Editions, limited production.....yada yada... I like having something a little different than everyone else. I don't see very many V10's. I way prefer the Cummins but I am bumbed they discontinued the V10, I'd take it over the Hemi in a heartbeat if I had to have gas. The new Hemi kind of sucks IMHO, especially in a heavy truck. I've found the V10 has much better "truck" power. Leave the Hemi in the cars and the 1/2T sport pickups, but it's out of it's league in a heavier truck. :D

8. mbwagoner

I agree, I like the sound and I like the rareness. Although a friend of mine has nearly the same truck. It's my evil twin, all the options I didn't want, but at least it's a V10 2500 4x4. But he got the shortbed, black, leather, auto. Mines longbed, white, cloth, 5spd. Both great running and tons of power. His is for sale if anybody has an interest in such a beast. (I guess mine is too for the right price)

9. mudskipper

mudskipper Member

I had a 98 reg cab 4x4 with the v10 and automatic. It was a great truck for power. The v10 has a lot of torque and I believe it gets about 1-2mpg less than the v8 did in the 2500-3500 trucks. I use to see about 11-12 overall driving and 14.5 as a highway best doing 65mph for hours on level ground. I was very impressed with the speed of the truck and the power it had on the highway. The truck didn't have to shift much with its wide powerband.

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I've noticed that too, that the V10 really doesn't use much more than the 360 V8. That is one thing that has never impressed me with Dodge, their 360 has always been a gas guzler vs. the SBC350.

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I LOOOVVVEEEEE the black leather in these 2nd gen trucks. I am very impressed with Dodge's choice in leather. Dodge was the only manu. offering black as an interior choice. I really like the embroydered Ram logo on the one piece high back seats. My dad has the black leather too in his '02, but for some reason, is missing the Ram logo. I think the Dodge leather is much sturdier than the Chevies. It's not quite as soft but it's much thicker and my driver seat shows nearly no wear at 114K. My dad's leather burb was torn badly at 125K, the leather cover has been replaced.

Is your friends truck a sport? Does he like the leather?

12. mbwagoner

he likes the leather and yes, it's a sport. I thought about it but never really like leather. Next truck will have it. My wife's denali has it now and I love it. Dodge's old 5.9L gas was a dog. My truck gets about the same mpg as another friends 5.9 gas auto 1500. luckily it got stolen (it's a work truck that everyone hates and we all know we need another HD and couldn't get one because this one still ran).

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the 360. I hear it has some decent power though. My buddy has a 318 in a little reg cab short bed 1/2T 2wd 1992 with a 318 and 5 spd. It gets about 17-18mpg on the highway, he says anyway.