Are people in my generation stupid?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Nov 8, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    In the last few weeks I've had some of the worst experiences with people my age when it comes to customer know how and curtesy.

1. I go to Autozone and ask for a sealed beam square headlight, three prong. The young girl asked if I was talking about the small bulbs that you screw into the lamp assembly on the newer vehicles. I said "no, a large square sealed beam headlight for an older vehicle." She then proceeded to ask me again if I was looking for the small new style bulbs. :rolleyes: She then needed the manager to ask what I was talking about.....:popcorn:

2. I go to Napa and ask for Helicoil. The pinhead behind the counter asked what it was and then said they didn't carry something like that. Also, without a "customer voice"...just "um no...we don't have that." I then ask the manager and he asked me what size I needed.:rolleyes:

3. Last night I go to Taco Bell. I walk up to the register and the kid behind the counter doesn't even aknowledge me and walks away as I'm going "excuse me!" in the back ground. A second pinhead comes back and just stands there and stares at me. :confused: I then finally say "I'll take a yada yada.." and he muffles my order back to me along with my total. When I said "Huh? How much?" He pointed to the little LCD screen on the back of his register with an annoyed look on his face.

WHAT IS WITH PEOPLE! They act like they don't even care about their job, the company that writes their check, or especially the customer that keeps their employer in business!

And.....if you are going to hyer somone to work at the counter of an auto parts store.....MAKE SURE THEY KNOW AT LEAST SOMETHING ABOUT AUTO PARTS! Not to mention a little bit of people skills while they are at it.

Unfortunately, these days the most important asset in an employee in jobs like these is if they can speak spanish. Not people skills, knowledge on the products being sold, or if the employee actually gives a rats azz about his/her job. I guess thats living in "Northern Mexico".......:rolleyes:

2. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

"I see stupid people...
    they're everywhere...
    they walk around like everyone else...
    they don't even know that they're dumb"

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
  4. black jimmy

black jimmy Well-Known Member

You should have known better than to ask anyone behind the counter at Autozone anything. At the ones where I live there are only a select few that know anything there. The Taco bell one does not suprise me. The Napa one does though. Most Napa's that I have been to know how to use the book to find something and know what is where in the store.

Don't feel bad, I am 27 and I see this stuff all the time...........:eek:

5. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Yep, I would say it's basically 100%... ;)

6. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    99% of the people my age arround here are complete morons. I really wish i could kick their ass for being so stupid, but apparently thats against the law. Ive gotten in many, many arguments with parts store morons about my diesel K5, according to them it doesnt exist. ****ing idiots, makes me angry just thinking about them, and how one day the country will be in my generations hands.:mad: :rolleyes:

7. BadDog

Media:
    I think it happens to most generations.

There is an age where a large part of each generation thinks it's got everything nailed down, and that all the "old codgers" are just trying to "hold them down" or whatever. Most also feel vastly superior to many of their contemporaries as well, which may even be true, from the limited perspective of the superior observer. Even those nominally smart enough to listen to "the voice of experience" simply feel that sets them above their counterparts. But of course, they only listen to what they want to hear and discard the rest, which leaves them pretty much the same as their peers anyway…

But then they get a little older and realize they don't know squat, even though they've learned a lot since they "knew it all". But every step brings you closer to omniscience, life marches on…

Eventually they feel they have learned a little humility and accept that they not only still don't know anything much at all, but aren't likely to ever change that fact, so you adapt as best you can and try to neutralize your potential screw-ups as much as possible. Usually this is about the time you realize you've become the "stogy old codger" that the young ones think is trying to hold them down, when really all your trying to do is help them not screw up as badly as you did all those years ago...

Even though nothing really changes at all, isn't funny how things change based on your perspective…

8. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

my boat has a gm 350 in it, very standard parts, only a few things are marinized. I went in asking for sparkplugs for a 350, they wanted to know what car... :doah: finally gave them the info on my (old) truck which had the same engine, then they asked 2 or 4x4 :doah: :doah:

9. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    First you are just going to the wrong parts store but I bet it’s hard to find a good one. I’ve worked at a bumper to bumper for years and at our store we can find almost anything. We have great people. We make fun of the quality of staff at the other stores, especially when they call us for parts.

As for the boat thing, while all 350 Chevy’s are similar they are not all the same. I would also ask the year of the motor if some one asked me for plugs for there boat. Different heat ranges and physical plug sizes. And the four wheel drive question is a way for the computer to find out information on another part in the same category. He probably just asked the question out of habit.

I would agree that there are stupid people all over this world not just a certain generation!

10. dieselgearhead

dieselgearhead Member

IMO I think all parts counter persons should have at least 5 years of HANDS ON mechanical experience before they should even be considered for hiring as an employee!!!

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    THe problem there is that people with that much experience are going to get a better job than minimum wage at the local auto parts store.

12. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    Seems to me you might be excluding some very capable people. Maybe five years of experience should be required for people that want to buy parts. I would say that 70% of the people that come to my counter have no idea what they are doing. They walk up to the counter and expect me to be able to diagnose there car and then teach them how they are to supposed fix it. I started at the parts store at 16 and I am still working there now I am 22 Built four motors one auto trans one transfer case and done many other repairs. I knew nothing from my parents either. Just figured it out.

I am not trying to attack maybe I am just venting.

13. BadDog

Media:
    When you buy parts, are you willing to drive to get to the store and pay high prices to get good service? Or are cheap prices and conveniently located on most every corner more important? Long ago some places did try to provide better qualified people, but those people, being very qualified, expect higher pay and decent treatment. Otherwise, they find better jobs. Problem is, people want the experienced help and good service, but like most everything else, they won't pay for it. I have a friend who worked in a parts store here locally. Even thought the prices were not the lowest, and I had to drive past a dozen "discount parts stores" to get there, I always got my stuff there. I *knew* I could have even a vague idea what I wanted, and he would get the right part every time, often suggesting a better part or providing additional insight into the choices available. This guy consistently rattled off exact part numbers off the top of his head for most anything. But the store kept loosing customers to discount chains, and they kept cutting back on benefits, hours, pay, and so on. Now my friend drives a short haul tractor and the guys behind the counter where he worked are mostly clueless drones…

It's "the new American Way". Everyone expects whatever you want right away (put it on credit!) and for nearly nothing. Then they complain when they don't get it. And then they complain even more that they can't find a good paying job because of business practices that result from "the new American Way". If all else fails, and you can't get a high paying job with minimal skills, and what you want is more than you can afford, find someone to blame and sue them, after all, it's "the new American Way".

14. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    You make great points! I like cheep stuff, but the trade off is you have to find it yourself!

15. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's funny how you made this post Bobby because I have been thinking the same thing, but it's everbody here.

Well, I had alot more to post, but I changed my mind because I'm just getting more pissed thinking about it. SOB's :mad: :mad:

16. stallion85

stallion85 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Bobby,

I agree with you. Being in the military and living on the base I do most of my shopping and errands here on the base. It is like a small city if you will. The thing is, most people in the military have a common respect and courtesy when dealing with you so I don't see it on a daily basis. I rarely leave the base if I don't have to.

Call it sheltered living, but it is better than the alternative. Here in Las Vegas we have more than our share of idiots working in your local everyday stores. I think it has to do a lot with the social environment you are in.

Take the town my In laws live in, Cedar City, Ut. It is a small mormon community filled with mostly good blue collar americans. Every store or restaurant you go to has friendly courteous peolpe working there. It is like an escape for me to go there, almost Mayberry in a way.

When I finally retire out of the AF I want to buy a home in a community like that and spend my weekends at the local Super Wal Mart and be happy:)

17. themaddhatter

themaddhatter Active Member

Having lived most of my life in the northern midwest, then moving to Maine 7 years ago, I have found that people are dumber in relation to a function of the importance and value of education in that state/community. The northern MW has always rated high on education, and while there were dumb people there *they are everywhere, and they breed* they were less there then in Maine. I don't know what it is about this state, but the kids can't spell, know nothing about their local/federal/international history, can't add, can't write, and if you ask them what a gerund is in the sentence "We enjoy watching Joe running" they go :confused:

Now, how frustrating is that when you work at a university rotfland they are supposed to be "smart college students" rotfl

18. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Is this a test? You referenced a grammatical question about a sentance that is grammatically incorrect. It should be, "We enjoy watching Joe run." :doah:

The gerund is "watching", by the way. "Run" would be an intransitive verb, I think, but I'm a bit rusty.:D

19. themaddhatter

themaddhatter Active Member

GOLD STAR FOR YOU waytogo

20. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Lucky him, I always just got red dots at school....rotfl