Are you happy with your duramax?

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by adamforsythe, Feb 21, 2005.

?

1. YES

82 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. NO

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe Member

2. 502_Jimmy

502_Jimmy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Very Happy!:)

3. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Where is the option for "TOTALLY!" :D

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    HELLYESSwaytogo

5. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Absotively!

Marc

6. Duramx Man

Duramx Man Member

Best truck ever owned, wife says I love my truck more than her. Well I reply, there are still some things you can do that my truck can not!!!!HEHEHEHE:pimp:

7. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    How can people put "no" and not even post in the thread???

8. Loader

Loader Active Member

Media:
    I guess by the posts you'd like an explanation for my "No" vote.

I like the truck. I don't love it. I have 1-ton torsion bars in the front and it still feels like it would scrape the ground if I hung a winch out there. The whole truck sits too low. I'm not interested in paying $3000.00 to lift it and be told I no longer have a warranty. The power mirrors no longer work. The Bose stereo quit working. The seat squeaks like an old motel bed.

I do like many of the electronic functions though - I can run fog lights without the headlamps. Auto-down option for both front doors.

But the poll was about the Duramax. I have the LLY engine and have over 31,000 miles on my 14-month old Silverado.
    1. The water in fuel sensor went bad. I was without the truck for 3 days over that one.
    2. The injector control module went bad. Another couple of days without the truck.
    3. The turbo started spitting oil and it was seeping out from the intercooler hose. GM told me not to worry about it.
    4. The LLY engine, supposedly more powerful than the LB7 model, actually dyno's lower. (HP at rear wheel: LB7=252, LLY=246 ; Torque at rear wheel: LB7=458, LLY=449).
    5. The LB7 takes upgrades better than the LLY. Put in a Banks Six-gun with a Speed Loader and the LB7 will get torque readings of 843 while the LLY can only muster 748.

Looks like my injector control module has gone south again. The question now is if they take my truck Thursday, will they have it back in time for me to tow my race car on Sunday? I've got a big race to get too.

I need a truck I can trust.

9. BadDog

Media:
    Wow, that's a rough time! I've had my truck since '02 with way more miles and it has yet to go into the dealership for anything at all... And it's been chipped since '03 or so...

10. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

I love mine, the power, the mileage, the ride. great truck. Anymore, you have to get a lemon not to be satisfied.

11. Loader

Loader Active Member

Media:
    Don't worry, I got the lemon.

Since that last post, the truck has been in three times for poor performance. They finally replaced the wiring harness in November and reflashed the computer - the engine has been fine since then.

But, the door stopper broke 400 miles past warranty and the speedometer just failed. Dealer told me $350 to fix even though GM knows about it and had huge numbers of them fail. They don't consider it a safety issue, so no recall.

I like the drivetrain and was really planning on a 2007 LBZ truck, but I'm having second thoughts now.

12. DMAXRIG

Have GM buy back from you under the lemon law. Its a shame and I hate seeing someone get a lemon like that. I understand you being afraid of purchasing another GM after this one, but when you get a good one, (and honestly Id say 99% are good) there a great truck to have. Sorry to hear about all the trouble your having though.

13. BadDog

Media:
    Good luck man, I feel for ya. But it can happen with any of them, particularly now with the rapid change in electronics and emissions requirements. In early 2000s, GM seemed the most trouble prone with the injector issues. Then it was Ford with the 6.0, and I hear some of the new Dodges are showing some troubles (just hear-say). It's a crap shoot, odds are in our favor for the most part it seems, but there is always a looser somewhere, just happened to be you this time. I hope your next is better for you...

I've had my '02 since brand new and it has never let me down till a few days ago when I lost a battery and it failed to crank. Trivial and while it failed early for a "7 year" battery, that happens in the AZ heat so not unexpected. Hasn't even been to a dealer or mechanic once.

14. Loader

Loader Active Member

Media:
    DMAXRIG: Wish I could. I tried. They told me that it has to be something they cannot fix or the same trouble repeatedly failing and that it has to be withing a certain timeframe. None of these troubles apply.

BadDog: I have lots of buddies with trucks. I started looking back around 2000 and asked TONS of questions. The guys with Dodge trucks loved them, but had frame issues when they added a dump body. They had to box the frames for strength - something that has since been addressed by D/C. Fords just plain scared me. A buddy had one and blew the tranny plowing. He got it back and it seemed fine then caught on fire. Then there was all that trouble about the engines melting pistons. I really like the look of the Ford trucks (I won't say that in front of my Father as he has blue-oval blood), but when it came right down to it, the power of the new Duramax engine and the potential of the Allison transmission is what sold me on the GM truck.

But laying out $45,000.00 for a truck that I'll then add another $10k-$15K in equipment to needs to be something I can rely on. This truck let me down. It isn't the GM line, I know. It's just this particular truck. Must've been a Friday afternoon model! I just hate driving it wondering what's going to go next.

I had just started to get comfortable with it and finally comfortable enough to start mods - install the CB, the scanner, the warning strobes, putting on a winch - then Bam! Speedometer failure.

What gets me is that when I talked to the dealer, they told me that the speedometer trouble was so bad that the repair facility was backed up and they couldn't get replacements (actually, rebuilds) for months!

To me, that sounds like a problem with the line and something GM should address to keep customers happy. This is a known and common problem, but they aren't going to do anything until someone is killed. I can't allow anyone to drive my truck now because it will indicate 45 when you're actually doing over 70! If you didn't know the vehicle and were to trust that speedometer, you'd have a hell of a time trying to stop at that intersection you're approaching!

Sounds like a safety issue to me!

Oh well, enough crying. I'm waiting to see what changes GM has coming. I think 2009/2010 is going to be an interesting time with these diesel trucks. Dodge is looking at tranny options - probably for more power-handling capacity. Allison is building stronger models as rumor has it GM plans on 800 lb-ft of torque by 2010. International is playing with twin-turbo systems.

Ah, the fun we're going to have!

15. DMAXRIG

Sorry loader, I wish you could get the lemon law. Just got a bad one, and yes, sounds like it was a friday afternoon truck. I must have got a wednesday truck because I love mine, no problems.
    Hey Baddog, I didnt know you lived in AZ. I am in tempe right no, but grew up in buckeye. Glad to see another Arizona DURAMAX friend.
    Loader, havce you thought about putting your truck for sale and getting another one? I believe thats what I would do.

16. Loader

Loader Active Member

Media:
    Oh, I've thought about it many, many times. But, I got this truck on a great deal with 0% financing and can't get that now. Plus, with the exception of the speedometer, I've fixed all ths issues that came up. I kinda feel like I've had to work so hard to get this truck to this point that now I should be able to just enjoy it! It really is a great truck to drive, and the pulling ability is great!

So, I'll just keep fixing this one for now since I can't afford an LBZ. As long as the repairs stay under the cost of the extended warranty, I'm still ahead! Besides, I've been testing products on it and if I change trucks I have to re-baseline and start over. I'm doing the Banks Power PDA and Banks Monster exhaust right now.

For our anniversary (I bought this truck in April 2004) I bought chrome H2 wheels. They'll be here Tuesday. Maybe that'll make us both feel better!;)

17. trigger

trigger New Member

Very happy with it, had it since newwaytogo

18. NC Hauler

NC Hauler Member

So far, so good. LLY,not as impressive as the LB7, but sig. TV has towed well for me and again, so far, no issues.

19. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, I was happy with it. I ended up selling it because it had developed a smoking habit that i couldnt control. even at idle and after the injectors were done, it would just smoke and smoke. Other than the smoke issue, it was a great truck. I cant think of anything bad to say about it. Just for clarification, it didnt smoke horribly, but enough to see it in the summer heat. It was annoying. Dealer gave me all kinds of excuses, but i was out of warrenty.

20. DMAXRIG

Do you regret not get another Duramax, or are you happier with the 7.3 PSD? Out of the two, which do you think performs better?