Audio Options

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by rocknbronco, Feb 21, 2006.

1. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

How many of us have more than stock radios in our tow rigs I myself have a bone stock single cd am/fm unit in my SD,I'm happy with it but sometimes I want more like a mp3 or sat radio hook up.Anyone running any of these?

2. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

heh... hehe... hehehe... hahahaha....

uhmm... yeah... I just added XM to my truck. Added it on top of the Sirius. Which was added to make up for my lack of good CD's to fill up my 12 disc changer, which I installed because I didn't like switching discs into the single dash clarion. That replaced the factory unit cuz the pushbuttons died a miserable death at the end of a hunting gun. Of course, the new deck blew the old speakers almost immediately, which were replaced with a set of pioneer truck enclosures, 2 jbl in dash replacements, a 500w sony amp and a couple 12's. Mostly because I had them laying around and didn't have anything better to do that afternoon.

Depending on what you're interested in, satellite is definitely a good investment. For around the same price as a cd or 12 mp3's, you can have 120+ channels of music or talk radio a month. Both Sirius and XM are offering intro deals to get people on their bandwagons that are similar to the "free phones' from cell companies. Little or no cost for the equipment, plus rebates for activation. They do the job, sound great, and are loaded with more than enough features to amuse you for at least an hour.

Look over the channel lists at a retailer that offers both systems and pick out what you think you're most likely to listen to. The music lineups are about the same on both, but the talk/sports is where each of them really differ.

My XM systems (one for my truck and one for the wife's car) I picked up last week at CompUSA for $19.99, with a $20 rebate and a $20 activation rebate. They can be taken anywhere with either a home kit or a "walkman" kit. Or just plugged into computer speakers. You also get unlimited streaming content through their website.

3. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a Pioneer DEH-P4300 head unit, stock component speakers, 2-8" Pioneer subs, Rockford Fosgate 360.2 amp, and XM Radio. Keeps me entertained on my 100+mile drive everydaywaytogo

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the upgraded stock Infinity system in my Ram, it's not bad. I plan on a fancy JVC head unit, my Arc Audio Amps that I already have, and two JL Audio 10's under the back seat....one day maybe. All I need is the JVC deck and JL stealthbox, I've got the amps and subs.

5. rocknbronco

Whos got the best talk options?

6. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

hmmm... depends on what you like listening to. Sirius is all about it's Stern stuff right now... XM has oprah... they both have leftist/rightwing channels... both have gay/lesbian programming... both have comedy channels, radio disney, and kid programming.

sirius has nfl, nba, nhl coverage, xm has nascar and mlb, and they split the college stuff by conferences... the OTR guys prefer the XM trucker's channel to sirius's. their news channels are about even as they both offer cnn, abc, bbc, etc.

7. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Sirus has NFL, what more do you need? :D

8. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Nascar.... the wife always wants me to go shopping on Sunday after church. Usually we walk out of the house moments before "the big wreck" everybody is talking about on Monday.

9. rocknbronco

Thats figures for a wife