bed mounted trailer plug...

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by draggbody, Aug 14, 2006.

1. draggbody

draggbody Well-Known Member

wanted to know if anyone has mounted their trailer plug in the bed for a gooseneck... want something clean and inconspicuous... i do have a drop in bedliner, really dont want to splice in my factory harness, any ideas, PICS...

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    my dually was like this and i hated it. it was in the bed side just behind the drivers side fender well. things would smash into it from time to time and chip the cover up.

i thought about doing this on my dodge, but ended up loving it on the bumper.

3. draggbody

the problem is that the wiring at a 90 degree turn drags across the tailgate... i know it will be a matter of time before it starts showing scratches... i have it bungeed out of the way except these hard turns...

4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Haveing a drop in liner limits your options. I saw a 2nd gen dodge with one mounted on the left rear vertical support on the bed. It was basically behind the left taillight facing the front of the truck close to the top. It was very inconspicuous and protected from damage

5. 9 second Butiac

9 second Butiac Well-Known Member

I mount all of mine at the left rear stake pocket. it's easy to get to, & most don't even know it's there. I remove the left tail light & run the wires down through it. you say you don't want to cut the factory wires, so you could just run it down through the tail light hole, install a plug & plug it in @ the bumper.

6. draggbody

yeah i thought about wiring it so that i would just have a double ended "connector" my main issue is not competancy of wiring, it is just the long term integrity of those splice in style crimps...

7. jalewis

jalewis Well-Known Member

So do it the right way and solder all of the connections and then electrical tape them, or if possible use heat shrink tubing.

8. draggbody

i have installed my plug in the bed, and the decision i came too was, i bought a factory wiring kit for a non 7 pole vehicle... the lights pluged into the 4 pole plug under the bed, there was a ground, obvious install, the 12v power, backup lights, and feed for trailer brakes was crimped w/ factory style crimps and soldered, then wrapped w/ electrical tape and covered w/ the factory wire loom... the plug mounted in the bed at the lower stake pocket... the harness and connection at the plug was very nice as are all factory parts... came w/ all factory torx screws... it was pricy, but wht is $70 when you spend $35k on a truck... i'll try and get a pic soon... thanks for the input, jimmy

9. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

me to rear stake pocket, its pretty protected