best bolt in muffler?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by zippy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i was wondering what you guys think would be a great bolt in muffler for my '06 i know ben like his flowmaster but what else do you guys like and remember im in colorado so i need to keep the cat or at least when it gets smogged. so any input would be great!waytogo

2. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    i do like my flowmaster... honestly all the mufflers will probably give you about the same power gains (or at least the differences between the different brands will not be noticable). I would think that your decision should be based primarily on the sound you want.

3. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    thats what i am thinking at this point power dont matter to much to me i just want that cummins big rig sound deep throaty and quiet on the freeway

4. Full Pull

Full Pull Well-Known Member

Media:
    Go with the MBRP replacement Muffler it will give you that big rig sound with out the drone it only cost 200.00 shiped. I was going to get one but I love my stright Pipe to muck. Good luck F/P.

5. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

yeh mine just gives me to much of a head ache going down the road...its too loud! the cat and muff are gone. whats a cheap way to quiet it down? any cheap good mufflers?

6. Full Pull

Media:
    yea thats y I left my Resanitor on AKA high flow Cat from the Factory.

7. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i like the mbrp mufflers where can i get one F/P? and i live in castle rock colorado and there are a few diesel shops here so install aint no problem

8. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think a couple of guys on here run the AreoTurbine mufflers and I have heard great reviews

9. nastee1

nastee1 Member

I have a Aero turbin, and it works great, with my 4" exhaust.

10. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I say Flowmasters

11. Full Pull

Media:
  12. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't use a Flowmaster muffler, I know 405 likes his, but I *doubt* it delivers the EGT drop of a strait through diesel muffler, like what MBRP, Banks, Diamond Eye, etc use.

You aren't going to really feel any power gains, especially with no new down pipe and a cat in the way, but the main idea of a new exhaust is the EGT drop. I'd also go with an MBRP strait through muffler, it will deliver your sound you are after and will give the best EGT drop you can get.

I'd love to see an exhaust comparison on the same truck, with the Flowmaster system and any other diesel brand system (they all basically use the same muffler). That 50 series muffler just doesn't set well with me, with all the baffles and what not inside. I'd be very interested to see the EGT difference between the two different muffler designs.

13. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    yeah i dont know if ben or "405" on here saw any drop or rise in EGT's from putting his flowmaster on and it sounds good i just want a strait through design and like i said performance i dont care to much thats what the chip will be for but it needs to sound bad@$$.

14. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    and also what intake would you all suggest or are running and love? i am looking at afe and airaid right now and im gunna get the tst pmcr chip, or the smarty like steve what do you guys think?

15. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I'm a fan of the BHAF air setup myself, as it's what I have. I don't think it really adds any power or cooler EGT's, but I like the much larger cylinder filter. I am in dusty conditions 4 months out of the year and I feel the BHAF filter is safer (no leaky box) and I can go longer without changing it.

Dieselnut will have a good idea on a performance intake, he's the 3rd gen man.

Although one of my business customers bought a Smarty from Dieselnut for his '06 and loves, Steve Fox seems to be enjoying his too, I think I'd go with a TST Power Max CR. I drove Dieselnut's '06 with just the TST and a Super B turbo and was impressed. Another big selling factor for me is the adjustability. I love having the adjustability with my Juice, and would miss that having only a Smarty.

16. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    true and i like that on the TST PMCR you can adjust torque and horsepower ifferent from each other am i right? and diesel nut should read this thread and give me some tips or sumthin! haha

17. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

i have an AEM brute force air intake and i love it! you dont have to mess with oil when cleaning them. and that turbo sounds so beautiful! it seems to have a little better response with it.

18. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

i had cut my exhaust off rite before the cat and put a 36" diesel tip on it. at the time i didnt have the money for a decent system and the stock was too quiet lol that wasnt a problem any more anyway had to put a system on it the local cop had it out for me i guess and really it wasnt all that great for haulin the family around i couldnt hardly hear my son in the back seat. so... i got a flo pro 300 installed thats from a small town guy that does grereat work at a great price, you dont find that very often anymore. he said flo pro was made by magnaflow if im not mistaken and that magna flow makes the systems for a few different names banks is ithe only one that i can remember for sure so i wont say any others and misleade anyone but he rattled off about 4 or so. it sounded like i was deaf when ifirst had it installed i couldnt hear anything but its nice and throty now but quiet on the highway. my egt's stay nice and low too of course unless i get on it for a lil bit but towing and normal use no problems with temps. i have a airraid intake im happy with it. one of the issues of diesel power had a test int here with a bunch of intakes. they all rated very very close to each other even the stock one with what they were testing i cant recall what exactly they were testing hp or cfm or soemthing. i cant remember what issue it was.

19. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

AREO TURBINE is a great sounding exhaust. If you have a 05-06 u do not have to change the whole system its four inch from the factory. I just replaced a section of pipe and used the 4040l areo turbine muffler...I got the system from the guys that make the cool blue hose (DIESEL POWER PRODUCTS).

20. travis toyama

travis toyama Member

I agree with replacing just the muffler on the ctd with 4" exhaust stock. I installed a straight thru flo pro muffler for around $170. After inspecting my stock 4" pipes for major pinches or crimps I didn't feel I needed to spend a big wad of dough. I'm towing this weekend so I'll see how it affected my EGTs. Trying to modify my truck for practical gains without affecting my warranty. Next on my list is the cool blue hose and a custom ram air through a modified stock air box. Good luck with whatever you go with, travis.