best smallest brake controller

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by Ramified, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Ramified

Ramified Active Member

Albums:
    I was wondering what is the smallest brake controller, with good performance. Let me explain. I am about to get a pull behind travel trailer, which is the only trailer that I'll pull that has brakes. So I am wanting a small brake controller that I can mount "inside" the ashtray of my '04 Dodge 2500. I've seen this done on another forum, but I can't remember which one.:confused: Once I get it adjusted for this trailer, I should'nt have to mess with it, much, anymore. This way, I won't have a control box sticking out of the dash around my legs, since I will only use it once in a while. waytogo

2. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

dunno how big your ashtray is, but I'd suggest the most popular and most recommended Prodigy by Tekonsha if it'll fit. I'm too drunk to run a measuring tape right now, but it has a neat little pocket mount that I'd suspect would fit pretty well.

I know it'll fit in an ashtray on a 73-91 suburban...

3. jalewis

jalewis Well-Known Member

You could also just unplug it when you aren't using it assuming you have the factory tow package.

Otherwise you would have to hardwire it in.

4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    x2 for the prodigy weather it will fit or not...I have towed with other controllers and they ALL SUCK compared to the prodigy

5. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    i have the prodigy and im almost 100% sure it will not fit in the ash tray... but it is a really good controller and if you have the tow package you can just unplug it and leave the harness tucked up under your dash

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 Well-Known Member

prodigy also offers a pop out box mount for it. ebay has them new for under 100 bucks.

7. jksmich

jksmich Member

Whether or not it fits in your ashtray shouldn't be a deciding factor on what type of controller to buy. I have a Prodigy and it is by far the best on the market. Needs very little adjustment, and it can be easily removed via a quick disconnect.

8. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

With all respect, you'll have a hard time convincing anyone who has used a Jordan Ultima 2020 or a Brakesmart. :rolleyes:

Rusty

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    :stir: love my brakesmart... thinking about sending it in to be updated to the new software with the air bag controls....