Black Diesel

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by Woods, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Anyone running black diesel? I ran it in my old chevy with the 6.5 for a few years. I want to improve the filtering before I run much more through my CTD.

2. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

What's black diesel??

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Used motor oil mostly. Regular dino trans fluid burns best, hydralic fluid second and used motor oil third. The used motor oil is usually easier to get.

4. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this before.

5. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I run the black diesel through a screen and then a filter. I found out about it a few years ago, when I ran into an old diesel mech. He had been running black diesel for almost 10 years in his old dodge. I was running it thorugh my old chevy, ran up to a 85% motor oil, 15 diesel comb at one time. You do loose some power and it smokes a little more. But I saved thousands of $$ in fuel costs. I need a little better filtering system for my ctd, but I have towed on a 50/50 comb without any problems. Used waste oil is now being bought back at .50 cents a gallon now, so its a little harder to get.

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Guess thats one way youcould come up with oil burnerrotfl

7. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I don't know but I wouldn't run this thru any of the newer diesel trucks. Injectors and fuel system seem real sensitive.

8. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I've run it in my 01, which I added a filter that filters down to 2 micron, verses the factory 10 micron already on truck. If i had a new truck under warranty, I would wait till the warranty runs out. Unless you hit the lottery or something and have plenty of money to spend.

9. ford trader

ford trader Member

never heard of using motor oil and diff oil i run a 50/50 mix of diesel and trans fluid due to the fact that trans fluid is very combutble under press
    i work in a ford shop and take all the old trans fluid from our flush machines and filter it thru 3 filters and keep track of the amount going into an aux tank note he gallons of atf go to the fuel shop and get the same amount of fuel and this provides the 50 50 mix pump into main tank and trucks runs great have noticed that here on a very cold day at aprox 5-20 deg day i have to plug in the engine heater cord to help start the truck cold. on any other day that the temp is above 30 deg truck starts and runs great.

10. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

With Diesel fuel at $3.99 a gal here, I'll be running it again. Still get 17-18mpg pulling the boat with it.

11. odie

odie Member

just be careful and filter, filter, filter. A diesel will burn most anything. Viscocity is the key. Older diesel vehicles...meaning mechanical injection...tollerate it much better. My old Mercedes loved the stuff. Mainly old veggie oil. But used motor oil works too. just needs the most filtering.