Blown Turbo?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by harleydude, Sep 26, 2006.

1. harleydude

harleydude Active Member

Media:
    Here we go ! Towing my 31' Toyhauler with my Electra Glide inside, (approx. 9000 lbs) when all of a sudden turbo kicks in making a God awfull screeching sound and truck starts losing power. I was able to limp home about 110 miles doing 65 mph on flat hwy. Thank god I was not stranded on Sunday afternoon. Truck is '04 F250 6.0 PSD with 15000 mi. on it. This was first trip hauling trailer. Has anyone experienced this? Truck is at Ford dealer now being repaired. Also do y'all put truck in tow/haul mode when pulling load like this?

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the turbo my friend is a tech at ford and said they have a pile of em in there shop all blown so it seems to be fairly common esspecailly with power adders.Yeah I would recomend using tow/haul mode it will help to keep the tranny out of the dealership as well.

3. harleydude

harleydude Active Member

Media:
    Got truck back from dealer today. They claim my problem was a C A C hose that blew off the turbo. Sound right?

4. rocknbronco

5. harleydude

harleydude Active Member

Media:
    Truck seems to be running ok now. I guess I will know what to look for if or when this happens again............

6. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

yep
    it happens often
    as part of your preventative maintenance program you should check the clamps and hoses every oil change.
    as for teh turbo kicking in....
    it runs all the time. it wil make boost based on load demand. IE you working it wit will build and hold boost .
    also running ships and tuners wil increase boost pressures which further increase the odds of you blowing off a cac hose.
    do you by chance have gauge installed and a free flowing exhuast to go along with your power adder
    exhuast temp and boost are vital to monitor when running chips or tuners.
    happy motoring, good to hear your back up and running
    and yes use Tow haul if you twoing over 5k , it changes shift patterns and provides some downshift braking. it does still use OD to.

7. rocknbronco

hopefully it wont happen again