Brake controller for 05 2500hd

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by gmcjimmy88, Mar 23, 2006.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am looking for a good easy to use/setup brake controller at a good price. I just purchased a new Kuafman dual axle (dual axle brakes) 20 ft trailer and need to get a controller for it. Anyone have any good suggestions? Also looking for a good place to mount it as well. I would like to keep it off of the "kick panel" under the dash. Thanks for your opinions

2. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Tekonsha prodigy w/ the plug n' play harness is what you need. I got mine at RVwholsalers.com for about $100 shipped. I have used the Voyager and other controllers before and this one is by far superior.waytogo

3. jksmich

jksmich Member

I agree! I have the Prodigy and it is by far the best on the market. Easy to set up and use.

4. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    x3 on the Prodigy. Best bang for the buck out there.

5. RockRig

RockRig Member

another Prodigy vote. I just upgraded to one and I'm impressed -> it's very smooth.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    love my kaufman trailer and LOVE my Brakesmart. i wont ever try anything else.
    i have had ZERO issues with either one of them. you will be very happy with your trailer.

also the brakesmart is now a bit newer than the one i have. it has a few more options.

IIRC the website is www.brakesmart.net
    but i could be wrong. it will cost a bit more... but well worth it in my eyes.
    Grant

7. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

Not to hijack... but what makes the Prodigy so superior? Does it work differently than others?

I'm asking because i'm thinking of upgrading. I have a cheap-O $30 controller now and now that I have a new trailer with very good brakes my cheapo isn't cutting it.... stopping from highway speed i might as well be flooring the brake pedal and letting off every 3 seconds, even with the power dial turned all the way down.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    3 types of controllers

BrakeSmart the best on the market (so they say) and the most $$$$ This one taps into your hydrolic sytem and is suppose to be Top Shelf.
    http://www.brakesmart.net/

Prodigy is enersha (sp?) controlled. So when you step on the brakes the slowing down feeling is what the controller is going off of to determin how much voltage to send to your trailer brakes. Some how this works real well accordig to all that use it.
    http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

Jordan is the one I bought. It is controlled by a small cable you hook to your brake pedal so as soon as you touch the pedal your controller is activated. I like that idea the most so I went for it and has worked perfectly on every trip so far.
    http://www.jordanbrake.com/

Thoes were the top 3 when I was researching the net for info.
    Good Luck
    Oh I mounted mine on the bottom lip of that kick panel in the very center..so far it has never been in the way or made me think I put it in the worng spot so it works fine for me.

9. 451Mopar

451Mopar Active Member

Prodigy again, mostly because it's super easy to hoof up if you order it with the wiring harness for your truck. i think it is accelerometer (inertia) based, and has various boost setings depending on the trailer weight.
    It is also reasonably priced.

10. rdean

rdean Member

Prodigy here. Dealer recommended it when I bought the trailer. Just plug in the harness. Not had any problems with it.

11. CaliforniaK5

CaliforniaK5 Member

Media:
    Add another Prodigy to the list. Love mine and have had no problems with it so far.

12. moneypit

moneypit Active Member

prodigy here too. love it!