Bronco for a tow rig?

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by rocknbronco, Mar 8, 2005.

1. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I have a 88 Bronco XLT with factory tow package now I'm planing on moving away from where I currently reside in about a year.I wish I had the money for a one ton Ford but my current ideal is to just put some money into the bronco and go with it and a trailer.Currently I need to rewire the trailer pig tail and build it up some more but has anyone ever used a Bronco to haul cross country?:confused: and if so what was it like good or bad.I have heard people with good and bad storys but nothing I could really belive.

2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Depends on trailer size, weight, brakes, how it's loaded, truck suspension, hitch (you'll probably want a LD and SC hitch if the trailer is any significant size) and so on. But any way you slice it, your still going to have short wheel base to deal with, and that is made worse if you have a lift or other suspension mods. Within reason, it's doable, just be careful and make sure you know what your doing.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Like BadDog said, it depends on the type, size, and weight of the trailer you would like to pull. I used to tow all the Time with my full size K5 blazer, I did convert it to a 3/4ton but that was probably offset with about 10" of lift. I pulled trailers around as heavy as 8K a few times with a length of 17', it did great, except with a bad wind but I would imagine the lift and tires didn't help in the wind.

4. rocknbronco

I dont think that I will need to large a trailer to move but I know I will need one larger than Uhaul has I think no bigger than 20 feet and I can move just fine.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ok, but are we talking a tandem here? A 7K trailer loaded to the max? 10K?

6. rocknbronco

maybe a 7k I dont own that much mostly magazines,books about vehicles and a few clothes so even then it would be relatively light more along 5k.I do plan on taking two engines two transmissisons and two diffs-maybe tow whole rear ends so that would be the heaviest.Yeah a tandem they handle the weight better and are more stable on the road and will limp to the side of the road better with less damage hopefuly than a single in the case of a blow out.