Bronco Newbie

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by FCguy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. FCguy

FCguy Member

Hello all. Post #1 here. I own a 92' Bronco, 302, auto, 4X4, w/ helper spring shocks in the rear. I recently picked up an 85' RX7 which is becoming a track car right now. Im looking into buying a trailer from a university (unsure of length but it was used to tow the exact same type of car before). The trailer has eletric brakes but they were never wired up. My main question is about my trucks 7 pin ROUND trailer light connector. The trailer needs work and in turn I will be re-wiring the whole thing and I'll be able to use whatever connector I choose. Ive been looking around for connectors and such and find VERY little on the 7 pin ROUND plugs, however lots on the 7 pin blade type plugs.

In short Im wondering if I should keep this plug (which I dont want to do because a 4 pin was tapped into the wires for the 7 pin and it looks all a bit getto) or go with somthing else. I found a plug on one site that had a 7 pin blade plug AND 4 pin plug in one molded unit... clean! But it had an OE connector for a dodge.

If at all possible Im looking for a 7 pin / 4 pin setup (for use with electric trailer brakes and smaller trailers) that will plug into the OE connector under the body of my bronco. Thanks in advance.

PS: sorry if I get a bit wordy

2. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Well lemme be the first to say hi.

On my f-i-l's 2005 f250 superduty I noticed from the factory it has a 7 pin round connector along with a 4 pin blade connector, all molded into a neat little package that tucks under the bumper. I didn't look at the wiring underneath, but I'd assume it's hooked in with a Ford style connector.

Either way, make sure you go through your wiring back there and test it all. If somebody's cut into it to splice, or depending how they wired up the brake controller, you could come up with some minor issues.

Now, maybe you can help me out as well... which direction do those RX7 rotary engines/trannys spin? clockwise or counter-clockwise? I've got a project that is dying to have a rotary, but it has to tie into a ford 9" rear.... hehe... this brings up drunken memories...

3. FCguy

FCguy Member

if your in the car (drivers seat) the motor spins counter clockwise. Im not 100% but if you plan on going rotary RX7club.com (all 3 gens) and teamfc3s.org (2nd gens) are a couple of good websites to look into.

To be sure everyone understands, my pins are round... not just the connector. Websites Ive been too refer the blade style 7 pin as being "modern".

In super short Im looking for a 7 - 4 pin connector (blade i guess) that plugs into the factory underbody connector for my 92' bronco. The only one Ive found is one that has a GM plug on it. If I have to Ill buy that and cut off the connector and splice it into the factory harness downwind of the factory connector (or possibly pull the pins out of the factory one and pull them off and place them on the new connector harness and plug it back in... effectivly making what I want).

4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Id find an RV parts store around your area and look for one there. I know what you are talking about with the round/blade thing. The Round "Pin" connectors are not that popular.

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I just got rid of my 85 RX7 12A 5 Speed I will ask one question even thougth the RX7 is a light car are you sure you want to use a Bronco?
    I have three of them myself all in various states of disasembly with only one going back one the road or well off the road.The wheel base is short for towing get a F250 at least I tried to find many ways around the shorter wheel base even with a extended can and long bed F150 but I would upgrade your ride.