Changing Injectors?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by TheGeneral, Nov 3, 2006.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

After towing my trail rig through the mountains the other day Iv'e decided to ditch my 370's and go back to stock sticks untill I can afford twins. So how do I change them? They came on my truck so I have no experience with installing injectors.

2. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

It's not bad, just take off the intake horn, then all the injector lines(they come off in 2 sections), then the overflow bolts(8mm), then the injectors themselves(15/16"). They dont come out too easily, so you'll need a slide hammer, or pliers that have a curved jaw to stay off the threads on the top. You will need some thicker washers though. The 370's need a real thin washer to work right, and the stock ones use around a .060".

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

How do I tell if he even changed them in the first place? Everything that came off of the truck was in a box that he gave to me (including old gaskets and bolts) and there are no washers in that box. I guess it would be safest just to get new ones anyway, is there somewhere I can get them besides the Dodge dealership? Also with the stock injectors,they have a little bit of soot and carbon build up on them,whats the best thing to clean them with?

4. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

The washers can be bought at a fuel injection shop, Cummins dealer, Dodge dealer, or similar. Cleaning the soot isnt easy, but try WD40, or brake parts cleaner.